1999 F150 No Heat from Heater - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 13:09   #1 (permalink)

1999 F150 No Heat from Heater

I bought a 1999 F150 this past weekend with 180,000 miles on it and it has some problems I need to resolve. The heater does not discharge any heat at all. I have read other postings and found different problems could be associated with it. I have checked the coolant level and it is find. The temperature appears to be in the normal range and does not fluctuate after reaching normal temperature. I have checked the hose temperature at the firewall and they are both hot. When I move the selector lever from warm to cold and back I don't hear anything like the blender door is moving. I want to check the easiest things first before I start pulling the dashboard out. Can anyone tell me how to check the selector switch is good and that the blender door actuator is getting the power it needs? I have gotten instructions on how to remove the dashboard if I have to get to the blender door to replace it.
gwhitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 19:33   #2 (permalink)
Ex-Ford master tech

Re: 1999 F150 No Heat from Heater

You can access the blend door motor by removing the trim in the center of the dash, just above the carpet. With a flashlight you should be able to see the blend door shaft move when changing the temp setting. If the shaft moves but no change in heat, the door may be broken. If the shaft doesn't move, most likely the motor is the problem. We haven't seen many problems with the switches, not like the motor failures.
btexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55   #3 (permalink)

Do you know what part number is for the motor if I have to replace it? I have ordered a switch in case it is the problem. I will pull the panel off tomorrow and check and see if I can see any movement. Can the motor be replaced without pulling the dashboard out?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24   #4 (permalink)
Ex-Ford master tech

Yes, the motor can be changed without removing the dash. With the trim off remove the two dash braces and the lower air duct and a module that is in the way, then you can get to the blend motor.

I don't know the part number, the only difference is if you have ATC or manual controls.
btexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 20:50   #5 (permalink)

biggrin Re: 1999 F150 No Heat from Heater

I tested components with a multimeter and determined the actuator motor was the problem. The testing procedures said to replace it if the resistance was less than 5 ohms and I had zero. I did test the switch and it did not fall within the exact guidance of the procedures but was close enough. I took the switch back to O'Reilly's and had to make a trip to the dealer to get the actuator motor. Fortunately they are open on a Saturday but I hate having to get parts through them. It cost me $72 with the tax. The old part number was F85H-19E616-AA and the new part was 2L3Z-19E615-BA just in case someone else needs one and can locate it elsewhere. I have a subscription with ALLDATAdiy.com :: Leading Source of Diagnostic and Repair Information and used there guide to install it but did skip the step to “remove the panel/floor door vacuum control motor” as I did not see a need to remove it to get to the actuator motor. The screw for the floor duct on the back left was not easy to remove. I did finally get it removed by disconnecting the vacuum lines to the “panel/floor door vacuum control motor” and using a universal joint on the ratchet. I have good control of my heat now and I was glad it was not a broken “blend door”. I would say the best way to test the actuator is with a multimeter as the shaft on the motor cannot be easily seen.
Old 11-27-2008, 17:53   #6 (permalink)

you are a great help.
is the motor a white, flat box on the bottom right of the center dash, by the carpet? and what pins do you test?
rjktck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel