Ford Forums banner

2001 F-150 missing slightly

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Impact_spoon 
#1 ·
My friend's F-150 (4.6L) was missing throughout the driving range, throttle response was getting crappy, and a slight miss was noticed when coming down to idle. A friend of his told him it was the EGR valve, so he went out and got one, we installed it and seemed to notice an immediate improvement in the quality of the idle, however once driving the truck we noticed the engine stuttered just a bit upon acceleration, and again with the slight miss coming down to idle. The truck does not have that much mileage on it, it's also an automatic, so my suggestion to him was this-
1. Change the plugs and/or wires
2. Run a fulie on it ( Fulie is shop talk for a chemical de-carbonization of the internal engine components. This is achived by tapping a drip line(or fogger) into the intake manifold vacum port for the brake booster to run your junk through the system. Also this service usually includes a through scrubbing of the throttlebody and it's sensors.)
3. A fuel injector service ( The one where you screw your junk directly to the fuel rail, pull the fuel pump relay and run it untill it stops, this promotes a more direct approach, I think, compared to the shite you pour in your gas.)
4. Replace the fuel filter ( no possible harm could come of this)

I have also heard that the 4.6 is somewhat picky when it comes to the TPS sensor.

If anyone out there is or has experienced similar problems with the same or similar application your input would be of great asset.
Thank oyu kindly for your time.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.