2003 Ford F-150 Horn Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 17:24   #1 (permalink)

2003 Ford F-150 Horn Issues

All,

I replaced the OEM horn on my 2003 F-150 several years ago after the OEM horn stopped working.

I replaced the OEM horn with a Wolo Bad Boy horn and it has worked great for about 4 years. The Wolo horn recently stopped working and I have attempted to replace it with yet another Wolo Bad Boy horn, same exact model. I used the same relay from the previous install.

I connected everything as before and noticed that the horn was loud, but not quite as loud as the previous one. I thought that maybe the relay was not working properly, so I replaced the old relay with the new one that came in the package with the new Wolo Bad Boy horn.

I connected everything and the horn does not work at all. I switched the connections around and cannot get this damn thing to work.

I have confirmed that the relay works using a benchtop power supply and my digital multi-meter.

Furthermore, I have confirmed that the Wolo Bad Boy horn works by connecting it directly to the battery for a few moments.

I connected my digital multi-meter to the terminals on the original horn wires. When I press the horn button on the steering wheel, should this close the circuit and BEEP for continuity? In fact, doesn't my F-150 already have a relay to handle this. I am not really even sure why I need a secondary relay.

Anyway, no beep on my multi-meter. When I switch to voltage or current, I just get zeros. I think that the problem is with my horn button on the steering wheel.

So essentially I now have no horn. Any thoughts? Is this something that I can replace without messing with the airbag? Thanks in advance.
chaserthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2013, 17:39   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 2003 Ford F-150 Horn Issues

The yellow/green wire to the original horns should have 12v when the horn button is pressed. Here's the diagram for it. | Repair Guides | Horn & Cigarette Lighter (2003) | Horn & Cigarette Lighter (2003) | AutoZone.com
Old 06-22-2013, 19:16   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Bert. I wonder if the horn relay in the junction box is "fried". I may remove the relay and test it with my benchtop power supply and digital multi-meter. So I probably don't need the additional relay if there is already a relay in the system. I never thought about that before today.

I have also done a bit more research since my last post, and I am wondering if I may need to replace the horn pad. It appears that you have to purchase the airbag and horn pad as a single assembly for lots of $$$.

Thanks,
Neal
Old 06-22-2013, 19:38   #4 (permalink)

Dear Bert,

I just popped the cover off of the fusebox. I cannot identify which relay controls the horn. Would this relay be located in the fusebox, or would this be located in the junction box?

I looked in the owners guide for a fuse/relay chart, and the tables do not specify locations for relays...only fuses.

I have a 2003 F-150 2wd with a 4.2L V6.

I have attached photos of both my fusebox and junction box.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2003_f150_fusebox.jpg (102.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 2003_f150_junctionbox.jpg (121.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-22-2013, 20:48   #5 (permalink)

Okay. So I identified 205 as the horn relay in the junciton box. I will remove the relay in the morning to determine whether or not this is what has failed. I can likely swap out one of the other identical relays in the junction box to test my theory. I can also insert the leads of my digital multi-meter into the slots of the junction box to see if the switch is functioning properly without removing the horn pad. What do you think?
Old 06-22-2013, 21:33   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sounds like you're right on. That link I sent shows the whole set of diagrams. Check the left column.
Old 06-24-2013, 16:16   #7 (permalink)

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I Figured out which fuses and which relays control the horn. I swapped out identical relays to see if maybe I had a bad relay. This did not fix the problem.

I then started to examine the fuses in the junction box (under the hood). Originally, I did not realize that the horn fuse was in the junction box and not in the fuse box (in cockpit). There were only four 20A fuses (if I recall correctly) in the junction box, so after putting the relays back where they belong, I started pulling 20A fuses. Low and behold, the 3rd one that I pulled was "fried". I must have shorted one of the terminals when I was installing the horn this past weekend.

I am very relieved that I do not have to start messing with the horn pad/airbag assembly and that I will not have to incur the big expense $$$...at least not yet.

The new Wolo Bad Boy horn works great!!!

Thanks,
Neal
Old 06-24-2013, 18:55   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's great to hear. Thanks for the update.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel