2004 - 2008 ford f 150 battery drain problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 20:50   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 2004 - 2008 ford f 150 battery drain problems

I went to a ford dealer and i tried to start 4 f 150 some had new batterys and some had old ones. but every one was dead. and they said it ran the other day and it was very cold though it was 30 below wind chill and 15 below for a low. but that's kinda stupid if a ford can't start when it's cold out. the dealer told me its a anti theft system that ford can't fix. is this true?
Davidsfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2013, 06:39   #2 (permalink)
Moderators

Re: 2004 - 2008 ford f 150 battery drain problems

Many batteries have problems in temps this cold.
Kind of curious why a dealer would let you play with their cars?
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 15:35   #3 (permalink)

No modern vehichle can set for unlimited time without the battery being charged about once every 2 months let alone very cold temps.
Sounds like they neglected doing this.
Once the battery goes down, the PATS can logic the vehichle is being tampered with and lock out starting.
It's supposed to do that by design.
The doors might even go locked with the keys inside.
Remember the computer is powered full time and will drain the battery over a long period if not tended to as above.
4 vehichles tells me they did not tend to this maintaince.
Good luck.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 17:50   #4 (permalink)

I had 2 ford f 150 did the same thing i bought them in the summer work great and when winter came had a problems every day. it was to cold to put new batterys in every day so i sold them and i got an gmc 454 1998 low miles and it starts right up don't understand? and why the dealer let me try to start all them is i told him about my trucks and the past what they did. i never left any lights on or anything. they would just die after one night. crazy? anit it?
Old 01-30-2013, 17:52   #5 (permalink)

i asked them if i could try them before i buy another one that the other 2 gave me problems and they said sure and i didn't know if it was just mine that i had or all of them and i guess it all them my neighbor bought my 04 larait and he had to boast the battery today to it was dead. and it was 24 above f today.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:39   #6 (permalink)
Moderators

It gets into the 20's in the high country where I live. Among other vehicles, I own five Fords with PAT's, no starting problem ever with any of them, nor am I aware of any inherent problems with the PAT's system. I would look for a dealer who maintains their vehicles properly.
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 13:10   #7 (permalink)

My 02 has never seen a garage and starts in below 0 temps.
Every vehichle with any age on it needs to have battery and terminal maintaince as they age.
Not doing this going into cold weather is setting ones self up for problems.
There is nothing different about Ford from any other make.
They all use the same type batteries, start solenoids and starter design.
If the charge circuit is not doing the job, don't blame a battery on any make.
Battery life is on average about 4 years with many going much longer.
Replacement batteries can go 6 months, a year or 5 years. You can never know ahead of time.
Good luck.
Bluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel