Ford Forums banner

2005 Diesel F250 Battery Light

7K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Steve83 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 F250 Diesel and have replaced the Alternator (Old one went out at 125K), Batteries, and the 2 wire plug on the back of the alternator. On start up the Battery Light Remains on for 2-5 mins and then flickers on and off and then remains off. I have checked the voltage from the alternator as well as the batteries and all checks good. What else could cause the Battery Light to come on when the vehicle first starts or after it has set for several hours and then eventually go out. I have checked for a slow drain when the vehicle is off and the meter is practically at zero, so there is no constant drain. Someone suggested the glow plugs? or a bad wire or blown fuse, but then why would the light not stay on? Please Help I am perplexed by this one.

#2 ·
Perhaps the new alternator is rated at a less amp/hr rating than the old one, which can cause the charge light to come on. Glow plugs use some power to operate. Be sure that the fan setting is either OFF, or NOT in a defrost position, as it'll run the air conditioning compressor and create added load on the engine when starting.

I'd phone the shop to see what amp rating the alternator they installed was rated for, and compare it with the stock alternator (check owners manual).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.