2005 F-150 towing capacity - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 18:41   #1 (permalink)

2005 F-150 towing capacity

I need some advice.. I have a 2005 F-150 4X2 Supercab with a 145" wheelbase, 17 " wheels,5.4 L V-8 , 3.55 limited slip axle, and towing package.
I am pulling a 30' travel trailer weighing approximately 7000lbs dry. I pulled the trailer from Pa to Florida, through the West Virginia and Virginia hills and it pulled ok.
I'm heading back to PA soon and I want to put my 800 lb Harley in the truck bed. I'm confused with all I'm reading, the CGVWR is 14,500 lbs as I understand for my truck and the max towing weight is 8600 lbs. Can I add 800 lbs payload to the truck with two people and full tank of gas (35.7 gal) and safely tow the trailer?

I think I'm ok to go with the Harley in the bed and pulling the trailer but I'm hearing different from some experienced RV owners. I realize I wont be speeding up and hills but I think it should be ok going through the mountains. Any help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Harleyfatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 20:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2005 F-150 towing capacity

Well, your truck weighs in around 7000 and the trailer weighs in around 7000, so the bike will put you over. That plus whatever else you may be carrying. I would think you are around 14500 to 15000 with just truck and trailer. In reality you could probably do it. But you will be over weight. Probably already are with just the trailer and people in the truck.

Thats a pretty good haul too. Lots of hills once you get back north a little. I bought an F-250 just to pull my drag truck around. That combo weighs in around 6000.

I would be concerned about max weight on the rear axle. Tongue weight and cargo weight combined. I think the truck is rated for around 1500.
If the trailer tongue is 500 and the bike weighs 800 then your at 1300. That plus gas,people and anything else you may have. If the tongue weighs more than 500, then I would really have to think about doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel