Ford Forums banner

2006 F-150 Hesitation Problem

6K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  CatSkinner 
#1 ·
First Hello and Thank You for letting me back. I had another user name with an old email I cant access soooooo im back.
I have an 2006 F-150 Lariat with 119,000 miles 5.4 Triton v-8
Got codes P0300, P0305, P0306, P0430, and P0605
At 3000rpms the engine begins misfiring and not switching gears, It just spits and sputters with backfiring. This morning I replaced all plugs with Motorcraft SP-515 Plugs and replaced All Coil Overs with new. Throttle looked real clean as I ran a good amount of cleaner prior to plug removal due to carbon and ease of plug removal.

Test drive, SAME THING Hesitation with backfiring at 3000 rpm and my Check Engine light blinked for a bit then went off. If im easy on the throttle it goes but has no speed about it. Hard to pull out in front on someone and get moving.
PLEASE TELL ME WHAT NEXT??????:frown2:

#3 ·
I bought the truck used with Cold Air intake and custom work to it. First, How can I tell if its chipped ? That may explain the P0605...... Unable to find ANY vacuum leaks as it idles.
I did not disconnect the battery for 15min for reset. Would that affect it? I reset with my OBD II reader..

#4 ·
Ok so I rechecked my electrical connections to each coil, #5 was not clipped in so I checked them all and they all are tight now. Truck will not go above 3000 rpms sitting still. New code showing up is P0358 Ignition Coil Primary H / Secondary Circuit Malfunction ???????

#5 ·
See bbbind.com for electrical schematic.
See obd-codes.com for causes/solutions such as open /short circuit or PCM driver circuit problem.
If an open or a short is detected in the driver circuit for coil #8, a P0358 may set.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0358
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
If an open or a short is detected in the driver circuit for coil #8, a P0358 may set.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0358
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

#6 ·
#7 ·
OK soooooo I cant get above 1000 rpms and if the truck has to do ANY work it will stall. I did get it moving and it sounds like all the valves are acting up. SOOOOO I changed the fuel filter. I checked it 3 times to make sure it is installed the right way, FLOW. I also changed the oil with FULL SYNTHETIC oil. It had a syntech blend in it when I got it. I have heard stories about OIL PRESSURE controls timing or ??? also I do hear my fuel pump build a pressure but did I do something wrong when I changed the Oil or Fuel Filter. It sound like it is WAYYYYYY out of time and rattles terrible at any rpm.
Also I replaced the coil #8 with one I removed, #1 and no improvement.

#8 ·
Did you properly torque your plugs? With the 3v you absolutly need to use a torque wrench when going plugs. Initially I didnt when I changed my plugs on my 07 gt and it ran like crap until I used my torque wrench and then it ran wonderfully. One thing I will say about motorcraft/autolite plugs is that theyre hit or miss. I bought a set of oem plugs for my 07 and 3 of them had the porcelain move freely and covered the electrode. I only use brisk racing plugs now because theyre a true 1 piece plug and theyre great quality.

#12 ·
Ok so what about my Cam Shaft Phasers? Is that a good possibility? This all happened after i changed my oil. I used fram filter I believe there was a ticking sound at idle. What bothers me is the P0605 code Thats computer......

PS I used Mobil Full Synthetic oil 10 - 40 Is that to thick of an oil? Should I put 20w in there?

#13 ·
Id say phasers are a definite possibility due to them ticking but youre also getting the p0605 which could be the ecu crapping out and interfering with the truck running properly. When googling the problem associated with that code it seems like it could be a stupid as the ecu needing to be reset or reflashed at the dealer or as crazy as needing a new ecu. Its not cut and dry.

But if one whole bank has the same looking plugs youre looking at the one thing the bank has in common, the cam. All the cop's are on the same circuit so its not that. Its the cam timing, so my theory is that the whole bank is either overfueled or the timing is overretarded. The timing being off is a major possibility. If you can datalog itll be your best bet right now otherwise you might want to pull the front cover to check the timing and check the timing components.

One thing Id like to add is that the factory vct can retard or advance timing something like 60* (dont quote me on that) so the ecu could be falsely telling one bank to overretard the timing because it thinks it is necessary so it might not be the timing chain jumped a tooth but be prepared for the worst. Again though datalogging will be your best bet.

Another thing to look out for are exhaust leaks though you normally get lean codes with them.

As far as oil, that viscosity isnt really necessary but ford calls for 5w-30 and thats what I run anyway.

#14 ·
OK Had the truck towed to a very reputable place not to far away. So I'm told the engine is full of gunk and needs to be replaced. $8,000.00 So I only put 5,000 miles on it since Ive had it. Would anyone suggest that possibly FLUSHING the engine 2 times and then putting a 5w-20w in it fresh???????
Would that help clean the small ports for the oil to push on the spring of the Cam Phasers and maybe free them up? Because it is only one side after oil change I'm thinking along those lines. A new engine with only 119,000 miles is hard to swallow..:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

#15 ·
eh, I wouldn't. Think about it. When you flush an engine, where does all of that gunk go? The oil pan. You could end up with a stopped up oil pickup tube starving the oil pump.

If you do try this I recommend to remove and clean out the oil pan shortly after.

#17 ·
I would replace the cam phasers then heat up the oil to get the gunk loose then dump the oil and drop the pan to clean it before Id get a new motor. Ive never heard of someone needing a new motor because its full of gunk.

A little tid bit, the 3v's get a lot of oil in the intake through the pcv valve so these motors do get a lot of gunk in the intake anyway.

#18 ·
I cant thank all of you enough. Truck is going into shop today. Will let you know outcome. Replacing Cam Phasers, Chains and tensioners. Cleaning Oil pan , replacing oil pump. Doing a Full clean if we can. All this after just an Oil Change........ Ford, Your killing me.....:BW:

#20 ·
Ok sooooo a brand new rebuilt bullet motor with 2 brand new catalytic converters to boot. I was told that the drivers side converter was completely clogged Im thinking that was the problem all along. Well I have basically a New truck. So with about 1000 on new motor, the hesitation started and check engine light came on. #3 Coil acting up. So my question is What are the BEST Coil Overs to put on the truck? Need to order ASAP.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.