2006 f-150 poor gas mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 18:14   #1 (permalink)

2006 f-150 poor gas mileage

I have a 2006 f-150, only 25 000 km and the gas milage is poor. Firts when I got the truck highway milage was in the 18-19 Liters/100km range and now its down to 15-16 Liters/100km. I have the truck serviced regularly and 100 km ago I replace the air filter and still no improvement in gas milage. Any sugestions on what may be causing my decrease in gas milage?
FordTruckDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 19:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2006 f-150 poor gas mileage

I messed up in the first post, the gas mileage is fixed here. I have a 2006 f-150, only 25 000 km and the gas milage is poor. First when I got the truck highway mileage was in the 15-16 Liters/100km range and now its up to 18-19 Liters/100km. I have the truck serviced regularly and 100 km ago I replace the air filter and still no improvement in gas milage. Any sugestions on what may be causing my decrease in gas milage?
Old 07-21-2007, 21:40   #3 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi
There are a number of things that can cause an increase in fuel consumption but to be more accurate we need to know what kind of engine/trans is fitted to your truck. If you haven't fitted any accessories that could cause such increase, check the basic stuff first. You changed the air filter, but did you reset the KAM ?(disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes). Check tyre pressures (too low?) and check brakes for drag. Even the wrong oil (higher viscosity than recommended) will cause an increase in fuel consumption.

marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 12:44   #4 (permalink)

The engine is a 5.4 L V8, 4 speed auto trany and limited llip w/3.73 axle ratio. I haven't added any accessories, the proper oil is installed, tire air pressure is correct, brakes are good. I haven't reset the KAM and I'm not sure exactly what that is. More info would be great.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:21   #5 (permalink)
fordmech

Sorry, sometimes I just get carried away.
KAM=Keep Alive Memory= The parameters specific to your engine at this point in time, including air/fuel ratio at any given rpm, injector duty cycle and so on. They are modified by the PCM using info from all the input (trimming) sensors to compensate for engine wear, blocked filters, small leaks, etc. Ford recomends to disconnect the battery to reset these parameters after you make an engine repair (ie:manifold gaskets, vacuum leaks) or change a filter that was blocked. That way the PCM will not be using the old parameters that were stored when the fault was present and instead will start learning new ones as soon as you start up your car again.
For your particular engine I would also look at the throttle body for possible carbon deposits that will be restricting the air flow. If you find them, clean the throttle body before reseting the KAM. cheers

marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel