Ford Forums banner

2007 F250 Transmission shifting

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  85ltdcrownvic 
#1 ·
I bought this truck with 50,000 on it. I had no problems with it shifting at all, no matter hot or cold outside. In fact, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the truck at all. Then I decided to change the ATF at 100,000. The day after I changed the ATF, I noticed it would not shift until the fluids were warmed up. I had to let it sit for like 5-10 minutes during the summer before I can drive it and like 15+ minutes during the winters. I live in Las Vegas so its 100+ during summer and 40's in winter.

When I changed it, the auto store rep told me that I needed to put 20 quarts in. I took his advice. I drained the pan, removed the pan, replaced the filter and the seal, then put it back together and put 20 quarts in. I then noticed it was very sluggish. Then a couple days later, I had trans fluid on the ground. Thought nothing of it at first and then it continued. It wasn't until a couple weeks later that the it stopped leaking fluid. A couple months later, I found out that I was only suppose to put 8 quarts in. And that there is a pressure relief tube that drains excess fluids if you have too much in the system which is what it was doing.....draining it on my driveway. I then drained it and noticed it was blackish. I then just put 8 new quarts back in. It was still sluggish. I then decided to have a complete flush done at an auto place. They did that. Its still very sluggish. I should've never changed it. What can it be? I'm thinking about replacing the filter again?

See less See more
#6 ·
It sounds like either its slipping or its going into the wrong gear. My money is on the trans slipping. You can try a trans additive but you might need a teardown to see what is the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.