2008 F350 daytime running lights - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2007, 04:41   #1 (permalink)

2008 F350 daytime running lights

I just bought a 2008 F350 XLT crewcab with the 6.4l diesel. I was interested in adding daytime running lights. I read in a few places that there is no module anymore, they just flash the body control module with a scan tool to either turn them on of turn them off. I asked the mechanic about that, and he said it couldnt be done. Can't seem to find any info about this, maybe cause the truck is so new. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
rblair2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2007, 23:54   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2008 F350 daytime running lights

Why would you want to do that? DRLs don't serve any purpose but to irritate others. Big trucks, in particular can be even more irritating. I hope that you change your mind. We need less cars with DRLs, not more.

Cheers :)
larfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:03   #3 (permalink)

I can sorta see your point, but I have seen the benefits working in the emergency warning industry. Not so neccecary in a bright sunny day. But on overcast dark days nice to have instead of having to turn all the lights on. Also when towing or hauling heavy loads it can make someone think twice about pulling out infront of you when your stopping distance may be less than adiquate. Be nice just to know how to do this if I wanted to.
rblair2325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 18:37   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by larfx
Why would you want to do that? DRLs don't serve any purpose but to irritate others. Big trucks, in particular can be even more irritating. I hope that you change your mind. We need less cars with DRLs, not more.

Cheers :)
These were designed with safety in mind, not irritation. How irritating can headlights be in the daytime????
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 19:13   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblair2325
I can sorta see your point, but I have seen the benefits working in the emergency warning industry. Not so neccecary in a bright sunny day. But on overcast dark days nice to have instead of having to turn all the lights on. Also when towing or hauling heavy loads it can make someone think twice about pulling out infront of you when your stopping distance may be less than adiquate. Be nice just to know how to do this if I wanted to.
Thanks for the reply. Generally, if it is dark enough to where your dash becomes harder to read then you turn on your running lights, followed by your headlights when it is dark enough to use them because it is harder to see. The time and reasoning for DRLs was never during the daylight time, it was meant for grey hazy days with low visibility. For the stated purpose, lower output DRLs and regular parking lights fulfill that role nicely and headlights can be overkill at the beginning of dusk.

The concept got lost and it became an instance where they are left on all day. That is the problem, it is not a bad thing to use your parking lights/and or headlights when the conditions warrant, I haven't found anyone to disagree with that. The issue is when those lights are left on in the daylight and no longer meet the original need. Granted, all lights do not irritate, but any lights on during daylight encourage others to turn on lights that do irritate.

Anyway, thanks for listening.
Old 12-03-2007, 19:19   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
These were designed with safety in mind, not irritation. How irritating can headlights be in the daytime????
The irritation differs from person to person. But the mere fact that it is an action that does irritate other drivers should be enough to cause a moment to pause and see if it is that important to cause irritation.

The irritation bothers me, as well as the distraction problems keeping one from focusing on all inputs.

I haven't seen any instance causing a need for lights on in the daytime, as far as I can tell I can see the cars fine without their lights. Others can to and have been doing so for years before there were DRLs. There was never a public outcry for DRLs, that I remember.

Of course, opinions vary and there are those that even feel that running around with their brights and fog lights on is very safe during the day. So, there can be extremes to this, but if the cars didn't have their lights on we could still see them fine during the daylight.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2007, 19:42   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

The problem is, many people wouldn't turn them on in foggy or grey hazy day's. They were designed strictly with safety in mind and they bring attention to less alert drivers. It is obviously more noticible to drivers, otherwise it wouldn't irritate you or perhaps others.
Old 12-03-2007, 21:53   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The problem is, many people wouldn't turn them on in foggy or grey hazy day's. They were designed strictly with safety in mind and they bring attention to less alert drivers. It is obviously more noticible to drivers, otherwise it wouldn't irritate you or perhaps others.
Yes, that is a problem. I don't have a direct answer for that, except that education and enforcement of the law has worked wonders for seat belt use, child safety seats, etc... Seatbelt compliance is in the 80% plus range because people drive around afraid that there is a cop to pull them over everytime. I am not a big fan of draconian laws, so I would recommend education. Also, other drivers can flash the non-lit cars as a reminder.

Nevertheless, the answer is not to run your lights all day, in case it gets dark . For a light to be noticeable in the dark or low visibility times, it should never irritate or cause glare, it just needs to make the car stand out against the darkened background. Any irritating or glaring lights are a uneeded and overdone application of the concept. If all the DRL's were the non glaring variety, we would not be having this conversation.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:19   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

Agreed. Not arguing, we are both just giving our opinions. Welcome to the forums and stick around.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:55   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Agreed. Not arguing, we are both just giving our opinions. Welcome to the forums and stick around.
Yes, I appreciate the good discussion, nice to have "met" you :). Thanks for the welcome, will do :).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel