2009 F-150 Auto Trans Shifting Problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2009, 16:55   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation 2009 F-150 Auto Trans Shifting Problems

A WARNING to those who are considering the 2009 F-150, and a question for those who already have one...

A couple of months ago I purchased a new '09 F-150 4x2 Lariat SuperCrew. The new 6-speed transmission has been shifting roughly for the past month or more. The service department at the local dealership checked it out and informed me that my transmission was "operating normally" according to the computer, although the mechanics agreed that the trans felt like it was performing poorly.

It turns out that Ford has issued a "Service Bulletin" on this issue...

Evidently the 6-speed transmissions are operated under one computer program for the first 30 days, and then this "startup" program is deleted by the computer and a new program takes over from them on. Sometimes when accelerating, this new computer program tells the trans to go straight from first gear to 3rd gear, skipping over 2nd gear. This is intentional, Ford says. But when it happens, it feels like the transmission is about to be ripped out from under the truck. You feel a very hard engagement into third gear! The transmission also drops in and out of the lower gears at seemingly random times during low speed operation of the vehicle such as in commuter traffic.

The dealership says that Ford is aware of this issue, and has no plans to fix it at this time because this over-reactive shifting program is what allows them to get 20 to 21 mpg fuel economy. The dealer also says that this problem could easily be fixed by re-programming the transmission control computer, but that isn't something they can do. These crazy shifting patterns were supposedly developed to allow for for better fuel economy, but they are sacrificing performance and make the operation of the vehicle seem awkward.

I am curious if anyone else out there who has a new '09 F-150 with the 6-speed automatic has been experiencing these shifting problems?
kyroteknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2009, 21:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: 2009 F-150 Auto Trans Shifting Problems

I've got a 2009 F-150 4X4 Platinum. So far I haven't experienced anything with the transmission that would seem out of the ordinary. This is my first truck I've ever owned, so I expected a somewhat rougher ride than previous vehicles I've had.

It seems to operate as I would expect and I haven't noticed anything yet that would lead me to believe there is a problem with the vehicle. I've got 4000 miles on it now, and my MPG is averaging around 13.1 according to the onboard computer.
nhatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 23:17   #3 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

Did they give you a copy of that TSB to read? If not, call the national customer service hotline & complain. The number is in your warranty manual.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 20:51   #4 (permalink)

Mine is a couple month's old as well. I had it in to my dealership yesterday and they gave me a copy of the "OASIS RESULT". After they rule out any mechanical problems (Torque converter clutch concerns), the report from Ford Canada states: "Do not attempt repairs at this time. This condition may be caused by the TCM calibration. Engineering is aware of this condition and is investigating through the Quicker Service Fix Process. Continue to monitor Oasis for updates."
My salesmen, who I have known for many years, had his first(and one of the first) 2009 F150's in for service for a similar issue right after he started driving it and they updated the firmware at that time and it resolved the problem. I have a lot of experience with firmware updates in my electronics business. Something changed in the latest firmware in our trucks from the original trucks that Ford just hasn't figured out yet (and companies like Hypertech and the other tuner/programmer companies haven't been able to figure about this 6-speed either as a result of that). The assistant service manager at the dealership I deal with is an advocate(as is the dealership) of aftermarket (and Ford) performance products and is aware that my truck has a number of performance upgrades done to it and that I tow 8000lb+ fifth wheel and did not hesitate to tell me to just drive it as I normally do (well...)and if anything happened, Ford is responsible because they are aware of the problem (I have that in writing). So I am just going to drive it and check with my dealership periodically for updates (you really can't depend on them to keep up on all this and contact you when there is an update).
Just Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 14:32   #5 (permalink)

Hi Just Bob,

I'm considering getting a new F150 for towing our 8K 5th wheel trailer. How well does it do for you ??????????

I'm looking at getting the 3.73 gears, if we can find a truck with them.

What mpg do you get solo, and then pulling ??

Harold
Skatervideoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:23   #6 (permalink)

yo, putting a fifth wheel hitch in your pick up may violate the warranty
check it out first before you install, like read the 'fine print'
i think it says in there 'only factory' installed towing hitches are covered
why do you think NO factory offers 5th wheel hitches as an option?
ever consider a class 4 hitch, with a 'solid' square receiver ( not the usual hollow)? the solid ones are good for 25,000 lbs.
klaatu21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 19:43   #7 (permalink)

My 2009 F-150 does the exact same thing. when i am stuck in traffic it drives me crazy. if i am coasting to a stop I have to give it gas to get to the stop because it downshifts too fast and slows the truck down. i have had it shift from first to third and nearly break my neck it jerks so bad. i have had other problems too: buttons on the A/C unit stuck in and would come back out, outside temperature on radio display went out, wiring harness fell out of the bumper, and the inside dash lights will not come on when you manually turn on the headlights (do they all do that?) the sync always ask me if i want to run a vehicle health report, i can't get it to quit asking, iterupts the radio, phone, or anything that is on. truck drives great and rides good and looks good, but i only have 10K on it and have been back to the dealership three times and heading for a fourth next week. i through a shit fit when they wouldn't give me a loaner and they finally did and said they would always provide me with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyroteknic View Post
A WARNING to those who are considering the 2009 F-150, and a question for those who already have one...

A couple of months ago I purchased a new '09 F-150 4x2 Lariat SuperCrew. The new 6-speed transmission has been shifting roughly for the past month or more. The service department at the local dealership checked it out and informed me that my transmission was "operating normally" according to the computer, although the mechanics agreed that the trans felt like it was performing poorly.

It turns out that Ford has issued a "Service Bulletin" on this issue...

Evidently the 6-speed transmissions are operated under one computer program for the first 30 days, and then this "startup" program is deleted by the computer and a new program takes over from them on. Sometimes when accelerating, this new computer program tells the trans to go straight from first gear to 3rd gear, skipping over 2nd gear. This is intentional, Ford says. But when it happens, it feels like the transmission is about to be ripped out from under the truck. You feel a very hard engagement into third gear! The transmission also drops in and out of the lower gears at seemingly random times during low speed operation of the vehicle such as in commuter traffic.

The dealership says that Ford is aware of this issue, and has no plans to fix it at this time because this over-reactive shifting program is what allows them to get 20 to 21 mpg fuel economy. The dealer also says that this problem could easily be fixed by re-programming the transmission control computer, but that isn't something they can do. These crazy shifting patterns were supposedly developed to allow for for better fuel economy, but they are sacrificing performance and make the operation of the vehicle seem awkward.

I am curious if anyone else out there who has a new '09 F-150 with the 6-speed automatic has been experiencing these shifting problems?
williesmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01   #8 (permalink)

I just got my 09 F150 out of the shop for the second time for this very issue. I have 3100 miles on it. I was informed that it has a "adaptive" transmission and that after 3000 miles it would learn my driving style. But since I had my truck in for this issue at about 2000 miles and the computer was reset, I will need to put on another 3000 miles so it can learn me again. After reading this thread I highly doubt this is the case. I was glad to see this out here and hopefully they will find a solution soon and get it out for the tech's to install\update.
cmcmford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 14:42   #9 (permalink)

I took my '09 F-150 for the above described transmission problems. They hooked it to the computer to re-program, per Ford service bulletin and the computer crashed on my truck. Truck was in shop for 3 days until they could find a new one. Got the truck back and it shifts worse than before. When you take your foot off of the accelerator it starts down shifting. It does not coast like a normal transmission. On the interstate on level ground, it is constantly shifting back and forth to overdrive.
When starting off, you can feel every shift of gears. Also when attempting to come out of a parking space and not touching the gas pedal and have just placed the shifter in "D" the vehicle took off on its own. That could prove dangerous.
Since putting the truck in the shop, the transmission functions worse than before. It is to go back in next week. I also was told the story of how the truck must "re-learn" your driving, but I was told two hundred miles was needed to settle it down.
I am disappointed because I like my truck. After owning an '03 which had 3 rear ends replaced and an '04 which also had three rear ends placed in it due to a known defect. I am about to get a little bitter.. My truck now has 4000 miles

Last edited by Citation; 07-19-2009 at 14:43. Reason: additional info
Citation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 18:37   #10 (permalink)

I just purchased a 2009 F150 demo and am having problems with the transmission after you come to a stop. It feels like the transmission is shifting into gear after the truck comes to a stop. It does not do it every time I stop. I took it the the Ford dealer and they told me the same line of bull regarding the computer being reset and how the truck had to learn my driving habits... Has any one else had any luck i nactually getting this problem resolved?
TIGA FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel