4.2 vs 4.6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 06:17   #1 (permalink)

4.2 vs 4.6

4.2 V6 Vs 4.6 V8

Can someone tell me why ford had two motors so close to each other? Gas mileage is very close to each other. What is the advantage of one over the other?

I'm looking at a 2002 f150 4x2, v6 auto 30,000 miles and cheap for an every day driver. Those little 4 banger trucks have worked well for me over the last 20 years. My big one ton just sits in the driveway waiting for me to use it for the big stuff. Just don't like the ride and gas mileage it gets.

Thanks for your opinion
Damifinow fish
damifinowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2009, 12:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: 4.2 vs 4.6

I really can't speak for the 4.6 but i had a '97 F-150 4.2 v6 4x2, and I was averaging 23 to 25 mpg. Then I put in a better air filter and muffler, and I got any extra mile or 2. I haven't driven many 4.6's to know how they do. But the 4.2 actually has a descent amount of grunt behind it and off the line I was able to smoke a few cavaliers and a grand prix.
jo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:53   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 4.2 vs 4.6

I drove a truck for a week until the owner sold it as my company van was in the shop. It was an older STX reg cab, 4.2L V6 5 speed manual, and it got great mileage. I can't speak for the automatic version but on a sheer displacement and cylinder count, the V6 will net you better mileage, lower maintenance costs throughout it's lifespan than any V8 will. If you plan to tow or haul on a regular (daily) basis, then get the V8. If it's just you in the cab with the empty bed, the V6 will not disappoint.

Be sure to check the axle ratio (generally on a sticker in the glovebox). If you plan to drive highway miles for the most part, get a taller ratio (3.55/3.31) versus a lower ratio (3.73). If you plan to drive around town and on the highway than any ratio will be a good compromise for mileage, as a lower ratio will get the vehicle up to speed quicker, so you use less fuel.

The big reason that Ford offered the V6, was for fleet/work use. It was economical for Ford to build, and cheaper for the consumer to buy for those who required the use of a full size truck. It could also be had with a manual transmission to lower the cost to the consumer even more. The V8 was produced as a low cost alternative to those buyers who needed the extra towing capacity, or the use of 4wd.

The V8 is a smooth engine, but it lacks refinement in the upper RPM range (at least the 4.6L 225hp version in my '06 E-Series does). With mostly highway driving I was able to get 12L/100km or roughly 19mpg with 4.10 gears in good weather. I would have preferred the V6 as the torque peak is lower and only 35lb ft less over the V8; however, Ford no longer offers the 4.2L V6 in the newer E, or F series. Whatever engine you choose, parts are a plenty! For owner reviews check out autos.msn.com
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel