Ford Forums banner

4x4 ?

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  CRUSHU F150 
G
#1 ·
I just noticed that someone had put my hubs into 4x4 lock and I've probably been driving like that for a month or so. My question is will this hurt anything? Also most of my driving has been on the freeway. I was told years ago that it could mess up the front drive?
Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
The problem with running 4 X 4 on hard surface, like the street, is that all the tires have different circumfances [spelling]. So when they are on hard surface they fight each other. They all go a difference distance per one revolution. Off the road you don't have this problem cause they slip and the terrain is irregular. You probably didn't hurt anything if you aren't having any problems.

G
#4 ·
New ?

OK so I decided to go up two sizes on tires. I was only going to go up one but got a killer deal on some BFG All terrain TA's.
I know about the spead difference when going from factory size. My question is in the shocks...
I've noticed with the new tires at 60 to 70 mph, the handling gets a bit rough.
Is this due to the size, or tire? Should I get beefier shocks?
Thanks

#5 ·
as long as you didnt put your transfer case into 4wd, you weren't in 4wd. all you did was circulate the oil in the front diff and freshen the seals and coat the gears. you should drive with the hubs locked for about a day around once a month, or the seals go hard, the gears rust, and your bearings and uni's seize.

#6 ·
on your shocks, you should upgrade because you have increased your unsprung weight and the leverage available on the extra width and height.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.