6.0 injectors - HELP!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 02:55   #1 (permalink)

6.0 injectors - HELP!!!

'06 F450 landscape dump, was having starting issues, truck would crank but was hard to start unless engine block heater was plugged in, even during the summer months. Last week it started running super rough, lost a lot of power, smoked a decent amt. if you drove it until it was warmed up, and fuel mileage went downhill. I took to dealership, they quoted $1,211 for a replacing & programming a new fuel injection control module. They called later saying injectors #s 4 & 6 are shot and #s 5 & 8 are weak. Repl. these 4 will run $2,072 and replacing all 8 injectors will run $3,628! Truck only has 58K mi. on it, any idea why this happened? Also, should I replace all 8 while I'm doing this & are these prices fair or should I get a 2nd opinion?
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2011, 10:39   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 6.0 injectors - HELP!!!

If it's having trouble starting in cold weather, and no engine lights are on, one or more glow plugs are knowingly shot, not necessarily the injectors. Smoking can be caused my numerous things, even poor fuel. Make sure the fuel/water filter separator has been changed recently. There are also some diesel fuel conditioners you can try, increase the cetane rating and so on, so shop around. The last thing I'd want to do is dump $4K on injectors. If the injectors are in fact faulty shop around local yards. Chances are good that you'll pay well under half for a used injector than a new one in just as good shape, if not better. RockAuto Auto Parts is a good source.

I wouldn't necessarily replace all 8 as it's not necessary at this point. Even if you replace the two the dealer said were 'shot' that will also lower the bill temporarily and you can get the other two replaced in a month or two. Dealers will try their antics to replace as much as possible while the trucks in the shop. It can save ever so slightly on labour costs to replace all 8, but what's to say that one of those new injectors won't fail in 20K or 30K miles? If reliability is a main concern and you're consistently out of town, then it might be best to replace the four injectors in question, but I'd just replace the two for now and go from there.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel