6.0 trouble - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 03:46   #1 (permalink)

6.0 trouble

I have an '03 6.0 diesel F250 hauling light freight with a 30' gooseneck trailer. It has 191,000 miles on it. When I'm in overdrive and I start on a little incline it starts shuddering - like it's missing. I've had it to 3 different Ford dealers and they can't come up with nothing! I cleaned the turbo, replaced the EGR valve, new fuel filters, new air filter, new MAP sensor, and just put in a new heavy duty torque converter and still have the problem -- what can it be?
mh550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 16:37   #2 (permalink)

Re: 6.0 trouble

i have the same problem,have you found a fix yet.
mike tatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:56   #3 (permalink)
fordmech

Hi guys
What you're describing sounds like Torque Converter shudder. I've had this same problem with F-Series before, although we don't get the 6.0L engine down here. I've also seen it on Explorers and Escapes.
If you get this vibration AND no codes are logged in the PCM (related to TC clutch, solenoid, etc) the parameters for TC engagement/disengagement need to be modified, as the TC stays engaged under light loads, resulting in vibration. If you want to confirm it, press the Overdrive button while the vibration is happening and it should go away. The only fix I know of is to upload a patch or an updated calibration into the PCM. cheers

marc
backlash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 15:36   #4 (permalink)

confused Re: 6.0 trouble

I just had a new converter put in. How about the turbo, could it be wore enough to cause this problem? It's not a vibration, it's more like the engine is missing, but it's not.
Old 07-19-2007, 17:01   #5 (permalink)

its noticable when I enter a freeway from the entrance ramp,engine chugs puffs black smoke,once on the freeway I back off acclerator then gradually increase speed and it smooths out,runs great at constant speeds,just have problem when I increase speed quickly.No engine check lights no off the wall RPMs.
mike tatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:52   #6 (permalink)

Mine takes off fine, plenty of power, no smoke. Just going down the interstate 65 mph when it starts up a little incline (in tow/haul) in overdrive it starts this until it down shifts. I have no idea??????????
Old 07-21-2007, 19:53   #7 (permalink)
fordmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh550
I just had a new converter put in. How about the turbo, could it be wore enough to cause this problem? It's not a vibration, it's more like the engine is missing, but it's not.
Yes, it could be a turbo or a wastegate issue but, these kind of problems usually have other symptoms you can notice, ie: a worn turbo more than likely will also blow smoke because the seals will be worn, a wastegate problem will leave codes in the PCM, etc. Torque Converter shudder will have a similar feel to taking off in 2nd-3rd gear in a manual car, that kind of vibration/ slight lack of power. Changing the TC will not address this problem because it's the PCM who determines when the TC is engaged or not, therefore the shift points must be modified, so that the TC disengages as soon as a load is present. If you feel that your problem is not what I just described, please disregard my comments. cheers

marc
Old 07-22-2007, 07:25   #8 (permalink)

How do you modify the shift points? I appreciate what you are saying, I want to fix it, I just don't know how. Thanks.

Jr.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:58   #9 (permalink)
fordmech

All you have to do is install the latest PCM calibration available from Ford and this should take care of the problem if it is indeed a TC issue. cheers

marc
Old 07-25-2007, 15:57   #10 (permalink)

Now I'm told it is the shifter valve wore out. I need a shifter kit put in. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel