7.3 or 6.0 used - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 18:15   #1 (permalink)

7.3 or 6.0 used

I am looking at buying a diesel, and right now I am trying to decide whether to restrict my shopping to the 7.3 liter diesel, or whether the 6.0 is safe to buy used. I've heard stories about how the 6 liters have tons of problems and am wary of buying one given that I am a college student and this is my own money that I have saved up.

I am planning on eventually lifting and putting 35's on this truck, along with some standard engine mods such as intake exhaust and possibly a chip. Just dont want to spend my hard earned money on something that is more than likely to give me numerous problems over the next few years.

Thanks
wabaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 20:09   #2 (permalink)
10 yr FLM Tech

Re: 7.3 or 6.0 used

One thing to consider is that a diesel will cost more to maintain than a gas engine in the long run. Everything is bigger, heavier, etc. which equals more $$$ for parts and labor. If you're set on a diesel, read on.

The 6.0 is plagued with problems:
-Stamped steel rocker arms.
-Turbo's leaked oil like crazy.
-High pressure oil pumps go out.
-ICP Sensor.
-Head gaskets
-Many others that escape me

I work at an airport where we have a 450 and 550 that are only a few model years old that we use as fuel trucks. Bear in mind the trucks idle a lot and the EGR system need to go in the trash can on these trucks. The 550 has had the high pressure oil pump and turbo changed twice. the 450 has had one turbo put on it thus far. Both have had the mufflers hollowed out.

Some people will argue that it comes down to how the vehicle was maintained. Which is true. Some things are just not considered maintenance though. The turbo or HPOP are not on the scheduled maintenance list from the factory(FYI- both will leave you stranded if they break. Do not forget to consider the tow bill as part of the repair bill.) It seems to me as if the engineers were out to lunch on this one.

I cannot speak for the 7.3. I am not familiar with it.

Keep researching and do your due diligence. I'd run away screaming.
Old 07-10-2009, 21:51   #3 (permalink)

if you change the oil regularly the 7.3 is very depenable. i know of one pushing 600000. the only thing i know to give problem on a 7.3 is water pump going out but have not had that problem yet. if your goingto put power adder on get a 7.3 or a studded 6.0. the 6.0 stock has pressed studs and when you add too much power they blow the head off. i know people that have 6.0 that run like rapped apes but a 6.0 is a crap shoot. when you get a googd one its good, but get a bad one and plan to go through turbos, and head gaskets.
thelittle289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57   #4 (permalink)
canuck

I vote 7.3L, much more reliable. A couple fleet vans I had with the 6.0L diesel did get slightly better mileage, but an injector went every few months, which not only set me back cash, but a couple days of having to get another vehicle while that one was in the shop.

I'll also mention that the aftermarket has LOTS more parts available for the 7.3L diesels, if you decide to do some upgrades down the road....
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 19:29   #5 (permalink)

7.3 all the way. 6.0 will run like a scalded dog, but is a money pit piece of s---.
FordBlueFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel