7.3 will not start.... Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 17:40   #1 (permalink)

7.3 will not start.... Help

I have a 2001 Ford 7.3 diesel superduty that will not start. It began to act different two weeks ago. While turning the ignition a quick clicking sound behind the dashboard could be heard and it would not start. I could turn the ignition back to off and attempt again and it would a start. This has happened several times in two weeks. Today it got worse. No matter how many times I turn off the ignition and attempt to start again the clicking continues during cranking. It will not start at all.

Any advise?
vbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 22:19   #2 (permalink)

Re: 7.3 will not start.... Help

Im am having this same prob. I just bought my truck 2 days ago and i had to jump the solenoid on the fender to start it. Now it wont start at all and the clicking is coming from the solenoid on the top left side of the engine. I can also smell an electric burning smell. I could use any info available. Thank you for your time.
BlazeF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:00   #3 (permalink)
Always the student

Common problems are weak battery or bad connections. Check connections, battery>solenoid>starter
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 13:10   #4 (permalink)

I have tried that but it still wont start. I believe it is the glow plug controller but I could be wrong
BlazeF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 20:07   #5 (permalink)

Have You Checked All Your Glow Plugs- You Can Measure These With An Ohm Meter. You Can Buy The Controller At A Parts Store But As Far As Testing This I Could Not Tell You. I Had An 1990 7.3 And The Glow Plug Would Sit There And Click And Became Habit When It Just Clicked On And Off To Check Glow Plugs With The Ohm Meter. Then All The Glow Plugs Measured Fine Once And I Replaced The Module. Worked Fine Ever Since Until Another Glow Plug Went. Do You Have A Block Heater If So Plug It In Overnight And See If It Starts In The Morning This Helped Enlongate The Glow Plugs And Batteries On My Truck An The Batteries Were Nine Years Old! This Truck Never Had The Valve Covers Off Or Any Work Done To It (except Oil Changes And Filters Every 3000) And It Had 365000 Miles On It Including The Stock Clutch. I Ended Up Trading It In For A Odd 6 King Ranch.
BLACKSNAKE427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:06   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problem with my '99 F250 super duty with the same 7.3l turbo diesel. I replaced the starter relay on the fender wall and it didn't help. I replaced both batteries, still nothing. Finally replaced the altenator and that did the trick! No problems since installing new altenator. Test the out put of your altenator if you can get it running, sometimes it seems find but it takes a lot to crank these big engines. Mine had a short in it somewhere, that's why sometimes it would be fine then other times it would cause trouble just like you are describing. Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.
Chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 00:35   #7 (permalink)

my f250 7.3l powerstroker starts but anly runs for +- 1/2 hour then it wount start again until it is cold again.Idit replase the cam position sensor
bertus minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 14:15   #8 (permalink)

I had the same issue in my 2000 7.3l sometimes it would start and then you turn it off and it wouldn't restart and sometimes it would just click. I would even put two cars on it to try and jump it and...nothing. I finally took the batteries out and had them tested. I replaced one and that did it. Start with the simplest possibilities first.
glock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:50   #9 (permalink)

had same problem.....Couldn't fix it didn't know what at all to do! My friend had AAA over for his wifes car and I asked the tech. He walked over to my truck and onn the driver fender well was a selonoid....he grabbed it and it was in two peices....I took 2 copper/brass ends and put them together with a bolt...wrwpped it well in rubber mudflap, taped it very well so it wouldn't touch any metal, and I've never had another problem 3 yrs now
daveinbuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel