82 F150 rusted leaking brake line - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49   #1 (permalink)
eric53

82 F150 rusted leaking brake line

Hey guys, just fired up my 82 F150 and didn't get far before having almost no brakes. I had a look underneath as there was brake fluid on the pavement and can see that it appears to be leaking from a rusted line running along the inside of the frame on the drivers side rear.

I have never had a problem like this before and being my age, I don't want to deal with it myself so I will have to take it to my local shop here to get it repaired.

Can someone tell me if the braking system on my truck is independant or will I totally lose all my brakes due to this leak. It might sound like a dumb idea but is it possible to drive it to the shop or do I have to have it towed. I read somewhere that in some cases, one would lose 2 wheels braking but the other 2 will work although not great. Shop is only 2 or 3 miles from my home.
thanks, Eric
eric53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 14:22   #2 (permalink)
eric53

Re: 82 F150 rusted leaking brake line

I got some information from the parts supplier about the lines etc.
Only thing I need to know now is if the truck is driveable. Does anyone know if its possible to drive it a short distance to the shop? Would I still have front brakes if the leak is in the back and affecting one wheel only, possibly both back wheels if both back brakes are connected together on the same line?
Old 04-03-2009, 17:22   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I really don't know for sure. You should have some brakes as long as the master cylinder has separate reservoirs for the front and rear. You could always unhook the line to the rears from the master cylinder and plug it off temporary to get you there. Your local part store should have a plug that will fit.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 17:25   #4 (permalink)
eric53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
I really don't know for sure. You should have some brakes as long as the master cylinder has separate reservoirs for the front and rear. You could always unhook the line to the rears from the master cylinder and plug it off temporary to get you there. Your local part store should have a plug that will fit.

Never thought of that jwko. thanks very much for the info. Really appreciate it.
Eric
Old 04-15-2009, 19:53   #5 (permalink)
eric53

Re: 82 F150 rusted leaking brake line > Repaired!!!!

Update

Ok, since I don't have the tools and place to fix the brakeline I got some quotes from Brake/Muffler shops and they range from $100 to a rediculous $600 feeding me bull that they would probably have to put in new brake cylinders etc since they say the bleeder valves would be seized. I put penatration oil on them for the last few days.

I took the truck today over to our local country mechanic shop. Very knowledgeable guy and honest. He did the job in less than an hour.
$69 and change.

So I am passing this along to anyone who has a broken brake line now or in the future. Also, being my front brakes were still operational as I have a divided reservour I was able to cautiously drive the vehicle to the shop.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:58   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

69 bucks? You can't beat that.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:10   #7 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 82 F150 rusted leaking brake line > Repaired!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric53 View Post
Update

Ok, since I don't have the tools and place to fix the brakeline I got some quotes from Brake/Muffler shops and they range from $100 to a rediculous $600 feeding me bull that they would probably have to put in new brake cylinders etc since they say the bleeder valves would be seized. I put penatration oil on them for the last few days.

I took the truck today over to our local country mechanic shop. Very knowledgeable guy and honest. He did the job in less than an hour.
$69 and change.

So I am passing this along to anyone who has a broken brake line now or in the future. Also, being my front brakes were still operational as I have a divided reservour I was able to cautiously drive the vehicle to the shop.
Well, it is possible to have the bleeders siezed, but there is a way around that sometimes. If you did need new calipers or brake cylinders, the price could jump up quickly. He just covered his butt with the worst case scenerio. Which is wise on his part.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel