'82 won't run when cold - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2003, 06:20   #1 (permalink)
scotty159

'82 won't run when cold

I have a '82 stepside which won't run when cold. It'll run fine at idle to 45 mph sometimes 55 mph. Then it'll flatten out and I have to let it sow down then try to gradually increase speed. I have had the fuel line blown out. The gas pump and filter has been replaced. I've replaced the distributer cap, rotor and spark plugs. Even had the catalectic converter and mufler replaced. Next I'm gonna replace the carburator. I'm hopping that maybe someone here might know of anything that might be the cause other than the obvious. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2003, 11:46   #2 (permalink)

Wink

Here is a thought, but I'll bet you have already checked it out and/or may not exist on your carb. and that is, on some carburators just behind where the fuel line enters the carburator there is a small compact fuel filter. If there is one, could be partially clogged. LOL
94460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 18:14   #3 (permalink)
scotty159

Yeah I had already replaced it. Also the carb is a single barrel carter feedback. I got it with a life time warrantee. It usually takes them a week to get a new one another one though. Thanks anyway. Maybe someone may think of something that I may have overlooked.
Old 01-20-2003, 18:08   #4 (permalink)
scotty159

Thanks 94460 but from what my Mechanic says the truck should still run without the vacuum advanced connected. That was what I originally thought too. Oh yeah, get this, I bought the carborator through a ford dealership with a lifetime warranty. Now the manufacturer no longer makes carborators anymore. They are only going to offer me money back as long as I return the carborator. That doesn't do me any good because I'd still have to pay a core change on a rebuilt one. And why would they need the old one if they nolonger rebuild them anyway.
Old 01-24-2003, 23:00   #5 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

I had a 59 Wagon with a Six banger in it.
It sounds like yours and mine acted the same way, and it was the Points too far apart.
It would start and run, but it would take forever to get up to speed. If you gave it too much pedal at once it would flatten right out. But if you nursed the pedal it would get up to speed.
It was the points.
Old 01-25-2003, 13:17   #6 (permalink)
scotty159

Had my truck back from the shop for a few days now. They replaced the carb, fuel filter, EGR valve and another fuel filter before the pump for extra measure. Now it runs great, never ran better. Next I'll have the tank overhalled. then it'll be in great shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel