84 F150 Dual Tank questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 14:03   #1 (permalink)

84 F150 Dual Tank questions

Just got an 84 F150 and it has dual tanks. The odd thing is that it has the regular tank under the bed however there is another inside the bed with a built in toolbox on top of it. I've never seen it before. Is it aftermarket??

I was also wondering if anyone knew exactly how the dual system works. I have a switch on the bottom of my dash and it's a 3 position switch (left, middle, right). All the way left and it gives me a reading on my fuel gauge and it appears to be accurate (i.e. full after a fill up). When I switch it to the right, the gauge goes to empty. How do I fix that??

AND......I noticed that I accidentally placed the switch in the center position for about a week and my main tank, the only one that gives me a reading, appears to have had fuel used from it. Does the center position move fuel from one tank to another??

I know I have a mechanical pump on my 300 straight 6 engine, I can see it, but are there fuel pumps in the tanks as well? The external tank in the bed has a wire leading from something on top of the tank and I get a variable reading with a volt meter. It jumps from 0-4v or 0-5v about once per second. Anyone know how this system works.

The more descriptive the better!!!

Any help would be great!!!
crazykartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 20:04   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 84 F150 Dual Tank questions

The guys at Aftermarket and OEM Fuel Tank Systems should be able to help you out as they're the leader in aftermarket fuel tanks - and tanks that look like truck bed tool boxes! I'm not familiar with the dual tank system myself but I'd contact these guys if no one else here replies.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel