Ford Forums banner

'86 5.8 -- coolant leak problem

4K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  overobvious 
#1 ·
hey, i'm sort of new to fords and this is a bit confusing for me...

i just bought this truck cheap, with a blown head gasket (or so i thought). when i got into it, there was coolant in several of the
combustion chambers (but no oil) on both sides, and only at the back of the engine. i'd have thought it was a cracked head, but it's both sides and literally mirrored, which seemed odd to me. there's coolant getting in the oil as well, but no oil in the coolant. i changed the head gaskets (which actually seemed in pretty good shape when i pulled it apart), and i'm having the same problem.

could the block be damaged internally? also, since there's coolant running through the intake manifold (i've never dealt with that either), could it have something to do with that?

i've got no external coolant or oil leaks now. just this coolant seeming to get everywhere inside the engine.

what's going on? heh

#4 ·
(it is fuel injected right?) if so the lines run under the intake manifold and through the throttle body. it doesn't run through the intake manifold. had the same problem, couldn't find the leak and went through hell pulling heads, radiator, water pump, heater core, etc. and turns out it was a split line

#6 ·
1986 f-150......cleveland or windsor. i would have thought clevo. theres no coolant in the intake manifold if it's a clevo.
to confirm a few of the things u said u have coolant in the combustion chambers. possibly head gasket or cracked head. coolant in the intake. well difficult but possible if the cooling system was pressure tested with the intake valves open it could force coolant into the intake but it'd be more likely and cracked head than the head gasket.
coolant in oil....thats usually terminal. cracked block! did u get the heads checked when u took them off (by an engine shop?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.