'86 5.8 -- coolant leak problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 19:41   #1 (permalink)

'86 5.8 -- coolant leak problem

hey, i'm sort of new to fords and this is a bit confusing for me...

i just bought this truck cheap, with a blown head gasket (or so i thought). when i got into it, there was coolant in several of the
combustion chambers (but no oil) on both sides, and only at the back of the engine. i'd have thought it was a cracked head, but it's both sides and literally mirrored, which seemed odd to me. there's coolant getting in the oil as well, but no oil in the coolant. i changed the head gaskets (which actually seemed in pretty good shape when i pulled it apart), and i'm having the same problem.

could the block be damaged internally? also, since there's coolant running through the intake manifold (i've never dealt with that either), could it have something to do with that?

i've got no external coolant or oil leaks now. just this coolant seeming to get everywhere inside the engine.

what's going on? heh
overobvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 20:23   #2 (permalink)

Re: '86 5.8 -- coolant leak problem

under the intake, there are some coolant lines. sometimes they crack, and it will leak in the front, back sides, and other areas that don't make sense, had a similar problem with a 94 and 90 f150 5.0 hope it helps
jo14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 21:20   #3 (permalink)

i wondered if that may be what's happening. how would i test it without buying a new intake? i can't even seem to find one that's not performance...and cost as much as i paid for the truck. heh
Old 06-02-2009, 07:12   #4 (permalink)

(it is fuel injected right?) if so the lines run under the intake manifold and through the throttle body. it doesn't run through the intake manifold. had the same problem, couldn't find the leak and went through hell pulling heads, radiator, water pump, heater core, etc. and turns out it was a split line
Old 06-02-2009, 08:55   #5 (permalink)

nar, it's a carbie. you mean the lines were outside of the intake itself? i mean...under it, or at the bottom of it?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:11   #6 (permalink)

1986 f-150......cleveland or windsor. i would have thought clevo. theres no coolant in the intake manifold if it's a clevo.
to confirm a few of the things u said u have coolant in the combustion chambers. possibly head gasket or cracked head. coolant in the intake. well difficult but possible if the cooling system was pressure tested with the intake valves open it could force coolant into the intake but it'd be more likely and cracked head than the head gasket.
coolant in oil....thats usually terminal. cracked block! did u get the heads checked when u took them off (by an engine shop?)
ziggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:46   #7 (permalink)

I agree, most likely a warped or cracked head
Old 06-02-2009, 10:45   #8 (permalink)

no, i didn't have them checked. is it not that odd that only the rear two chambers on both sides had water in them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel