86 F-150 wiper knob removale - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2007, 14:13   #1 (permalink)

86 F-150 wiper knob removale

How my truck keeps me humble: I can put an axle in a 1-ton truck, but I can't get the wiper knob off so I can remove the cover from instrument panel in my 86 F-150 stepside. Here's a photo; you can see the notch in side which clearly provides a means to release whatever so the knob will come off. But probe as I might, I can't figure out exactly what I have to do to release it.

HELP!
CyberCrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 11:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: 86 F-150 wiper knob removale

I was having the same problem. You need a hook, part of a pick set. put the hook in at the notch and fell around. There is a black ring that locks tha knob in place. If you get pressure on the ring and pull the knob it will come off. If I can, I'll take a picture of the inside of the knob for you.
tvo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvo222
I was having the same problem. You need a hook, part of a pick set. put the hook in at the notch and fell around. There is a black ring that locks tha knob in place. If you get pressure on the ring and pull the knob it will come off. If I can, I'll take a picture of the inside of the knob for you.
Not sure what you mean by a 'pick set' or a 'hook' for that matter. What if I use a very small hex wrench? since it has a 90 degree angle I'm thinking maybe slip it in there with the long part 90degrees to the stem of the wiper knob and the short part parallel to the knob stem, and pull it toward me. Would that put the pressure in the right place against the ring?
Old 04-12-2007, 17:03   #4 (permalink)

a hex wrench probably will not work. You need something that can go 180 degrees like a hook (?) Put the hook in at the notch and pull the hook and the knob at the same time.
Old 04-12-2007, 17:17   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
a hex wrench probably will not work. You need something that can go 180 degrees like a hook (?) Put the hook in at the notch and pull the hook and the knob at the same time.
I found that out! I thought I might be able to kinda turn a hex wrench so the short part would slide in but there isn't enough room to turn it, the long part is blocked from turning 90 degrees by instrument panel cover. I also looked up hook and pick set and now know what the tool is that you mentioned. Since I won't be in town to buy a set for a few days, in the meantime I will try to fashion a hook out of a paper clip. Reminds me that, stuck on a remote forest road, I once fixed broken linkage to carburetor with a paper clip, so I am reasonably optimistic. 8=)
Old 04-14-2007, 10:46   #6 (permalink)

GOT IT! but my optimism about kluging with a paper clip was misplaced. It would have worked if it was stronger but it just bent when I pulled on it. So this morning I went to town and got a hook and pick set and at first was quite discouraged because no matter how I manipulated the hook, nothing happened. I put it down and did something else and then had a last try at the knob before giving up and POP! off it came. Now that I see the little metal clip that holds it on, I can make better guesses at how to manipulate the hook in the future. I'm gonna take a picture of it to post here in case someone else reads this thread for help in the future.
Thanks for your help, tvo222.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:18   #7 (permalink)

No problem. I came to this forum in search of an answer on how to get the knob off and ended up helping you. I wanted to post a picture but not sure how.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:28   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
No problem. I came to this forum in search of an answer on how to get the knob off and ended up helping you. I wanted to post a picture but not sure how.
When you write your message, there's a row of icons above the window. The next to the last one on right looks like a postcard or something but it's an insert-image icon. When you click on it, it asks you for the URL of the image. I'm not sure how to get a URL for my computer but wouldn't want to do that anyway, so I upload pix to one of my web pages and then enter the URL of the page I posted it to. A little more trouble than it might be worth most of the time, but I find that if I post a picture it helps people get a much clearer idea of the problem I am describing.
Old 05-27-2007, 14:22   #9 (permalink)

It is possible to simply pull the knob off on my '90, however you need to mcguiver the knob back on.
bbenard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 00:06   #10 (permalink)

yeah, got the same situation.. Hex wrench really helped me a lot in getting the wiper knob off.. But getting it back...
Hubbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel