86 F150 Front Side Mount Tank wont fill - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 15:04   #1 (permalink)

86 F150 Front Side Mount Tank wont fill

Recently got this truck for my 17 year old son. It is a 1986 F-150 4 X 4 with 5.0 Liter Engine - 4 speed manual - dual rear tanks - front is a side tank and we can't get any fuel into it. Has the long straight bed on it - not a flair side. The person we got it from put a new front side tank on it but it looks to be the wrong type of filler hose. I took it off and found just a short piece of the vent tube stuck in the filler neck.

Does anyone have a picture what the filler hose set-up is supposed to look like on this truck? Not even sure if it has the right hose. Also can I make a vent hose for it? I have tubing the same size and diameter as the piece I took out of it but I have no idea how long it should be or what it connects to at the other end in the tank or does just hang at the top the tank. The slope doesn't look right from where you put gas in to the hose to the tank. The filler tube runs down then actually goes up slightly to get over the frame member and then back down to the top of the tank so there is an up and down here.

Let me know if you can help out - I tried googling the dimensions on the vent line, a picture of the correct filler hose set-up and could not locate anything.

Thanks

Russ
russ1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 16:20   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 86 F150 Front Side Mount Tank wont fill

I've got a old 84 F250 with dual rear tanks. Tried taking some photos but didn't turn out well because of a splash shield in the way. Hope it helps

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 16:24   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I forgot to add that AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More has free online repair manuals. You need to create a free account to view though.
Old 02-17-2013, 17:35   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the pics!!!! Great help!! Do have 1 question - Where the filler neck connects to the hose is that flat across the frame member? Ours dips just before is comes up over the frame member and I think this is why we are getting over flow when filling the tank. It is not a flat\down hill flow to the tank. I think this is more of a problem than the actual venting itself.

Let me know if you can.

Thanks again!!!

Russ
russ1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 17:49   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Where the hose connects to the filler neck is a straight shot from there over the frame then bends downward to the tank. Its a fairly level flat run.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel