86 ford f150 sputtering problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:01   #1 (permalink)

confused 86 ford f150 sputtering problem

i need help. i have a 1986 ford f150 4x4 302 fuel injection. i have a sputtering problem every time i take off it sputter. i have replaced the timing chain, spark plugs, wire set, dis cap, and rotor. i had a hard time keeping it idling. spark plugs 2,3,6,&7 were miss firing till i put the new dis cap on. i have the ignition timing right. how ever i did get shock buy the plugs so i put the electric tape around all 8 and it is finally idling right till i take off. i dont want to keep putting parts in that it dont need. PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS
twiztedbacon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 18:28   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 86 ford f150 sputtering problem

Sounds like you're shorting someplace and if you felt a jolt, I"d guess from the coil.
CatSkinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:50   #3 (permalink)

thanks how ever i am not getting spark anymore. so my guess now is the pickup coil or the ignition control module. so im going to replace both to be safe then sorry will post more if not the problem
Old 08-23-2012, 14:38   #4 (permalink)

If that doesn't work this might sound stupid but you may want to make sure your coolant temp sensor is working correctly. I had mine go out on my 96 302 and the truck would idle terrible and barely accelerate.
mercaaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:08   #5 (permalink)

sry for not updating. i went ahead and replaced the pick-up-coil and the ignition control module and it started and then timed it. every thing is working fine how ever i notice as im driving that it hesitate's then picks up so my question now is would the spark plug wires be bad since it shocked me
Old 08-27-2012, 08:33   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Could be, I didn't go there since your initial post stated that you replaced them. I've made the mistake of using cheap ones in the past and ended up replacing them again within a month, so if you went the discount route, you might want to change them as well to a higher quality.
CatSkinner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel

Related Reading: 86 ford f150 sputtering problem