89 150 Fuel Pumps - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2005, 16:58   #1 (permalink)

89 150 Fuel Pumps

My 89 150 has quit me. How can I tell which fuel pump has gone bad? I pulled the fuel line right behind the fuel filter and no fuel when trying to start. Is there a way to check if it's the pump on the frame (which would be nice) or in the tanks?
weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 20:05   #2 (permalink)

Re: 89 150 Fuel Pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver
My 89 150 has quit me. How can I tell which fuel pump has gone bad? I pulled the fuel line right behind the fuel filter and no fuel when trying to start. Is there a way to check if it's the pump on the frame (which would be nice) or in the tanks?
If you have a dual-tank set-up, it's pretty common for the switch to go out that determines which tank you're using. Check to make sure you're getting power at the pumps before you go replacing stuff.

Get a tester at the parts store, connect the ground on the tester to a grounded piece of metal. Jam the needle of the tester into the power wire in the pump harness and turn the key to "On" and see if it lights up. If it does on both pumps, then go from there. If no power is reaching either, check to see if the switch is getting power.

My Garage
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 19:31   #3 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: 89 150 Fuel Pumps

Do you hear your fuel pumps pump up when you turn on your ignition, if not it might be the fuel pump relay. Had problem with my 88 F-150 earlier this year where fuel pumps wouldn't shut off, it was the fuel pump relay stuck on. The relay is located on the top of the drivers side inner fender well. Don't think position was changed on 89's.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel