91 F250 no key needed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 15:54   #1 (permalink)

91 F250 no key needed

Have a 1991 F250 4x4 460 that does not need a key anymore to turn the ignition to any position. Of course now have been having problems with the battery draining overnight. Guess I have pull the steering wheel and get at the switch see what is going on.
ruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 16:43   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 91 F250 no key needed

I don't think you need to remove the steering wheel on this year model. If it has the shroud that separates, then you don't need to. Just insert something to press the retainer, turn switch and pull out to remove
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 17:45   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. Will look at it tomorrow. Just got back in town and it has been giving my girlfriend grief. Where can I find wiring diagrams for this thing without spending over $100.00 on manuals?
Old 12-25-2012, 18:18   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

AutoZone | Auto Parts & Accessories | Repair Guides & More has free online repair manuals. All you have to do is register for a free account.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

I hope the wiring diagram is for a separate issue from the ignition lock
Old 12-26-2012, 15:28   #6 (permalink)

Nope. Just want to see what is going on when I turn the key on and what may be draining the battery. Left the ignition switch in what should have been off last night and this morning the battery was drained. Put another battery in and a relay clicked and there was a current draw.
Old 12-26-2012, 17:05   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

The actual electrical part, the ignition switch, is located under the dash on top of the steering column. It is connect by a rod to the key switch.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 19:27   #8 (permalink)

Found a pretty good video on youtube where a guy changes out that rod mechanism. I assume the actual lock mechanism(tumbler) is what is allowing the truck to be started without a key. And I believe the rod mechanism is also not working right because when the switch is moved to the off position the truck is still partially powered. The rod does move as the truck is still started with the tumbler . But it does not want to come back to run position by itself. It will shut down the truck if moved to off position but some things are still powered. I am wondering if the switch itself is not bad also. Weird. I won't be able to work on it again until Monday. I will replace the tumbler and if that does not fix it I will pull the steering wheel and look at this rod assy.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13   #9 (permalink)
Always the student

The ignition lock needs replacing if you can turn it without the key. Either the pins are stuck or the lock is worn out. I wouldn't mess with replacing the rod until you are sure that is the problem (although not likely). The igniton switch, on the other hand could possibly just be loose, out of adjustment (not likely unless it was replaced) or is just bad.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:57   #10 (permalink)

Is this ignition switch specific to the F250 or is it used in other Ford vehicles? Reason being I am going to go shopping at the junkyard for some parts and I want to replace the switch. It is definitely bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel