92 F-150 plugged cat???? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 20:17   #1 (permalink)
92f150

92 F-150 plugged cat????

I have no idea, but the cat glows red and the truck runs like crap when the engine is under load at low RPM's any help would be great.
Needinhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2008, 07:28   #2 (permalink)

Re: 92 F-150 plugged cat????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needinhelp View Post
I have no idea, but the cat glows red and the truck runs like crap when the engine is under load at low RPM's any help would be great.
Your cats officially at the bottom of the ninth, and it's fully loaded! this causes a back pressure against your valves which makes them unable to seal the chambers on the compression stroke. any back pressure 4 psi+ will begin degrading proper valve function. This in turn allows residual fuel from incomplete detonations to collect in the exhaust and work it's way towards your now 900 - 1200 degree cat. If your thinking what you should be thinking right now, yes it will explode but your only a little over half way there. If you keep driving it, it will start stalling out. Then if your traveling at a higher speed like 70-75 and it stalls it will make it to the cat. I don't know if the rear tires lift of the pavement if it blows while stoped, but at 70, 1/2 ft. tends to get & keep your attention. then it glows white and ripped in two. The shop I took it to just before this said the stalling was caused by intermittent TFI mod failure. Anyway, that your cat is fried is the good news. the bad news is, the replacement cats days are numbered unless you eliminate the cause. which is the PCM is unable to effectivly modify a persistsnt over rich air to fuel ratio to provide a ratio of 14.7:1. So, to start with use 87 octane if your engine is stock,If is currenly requires a higher octaine to run w/o ping, then buy 2 cans of "SeaFoam", 2/3 can poured into the brake booster vac line towards air intake W/engine at oper. temp. & at idle and shut down for 10-15 mins.them restart & blow out the crap. 1/3 can added to gas. Remove the EGR valve, clear engines port way to valve, clean valve airway, making sure the inner pindel seat is able to seal & actuator diaphragm has no leak. reinstall. What shape is the ignition system in. What plugs, and try to run the scans, Replace O2 sensor And cat. theres some other things you should do depending on if you just want to get the currant problem behind you or you also want improve it 's overall condition. My experince w/ the cat blowing after paying almost 3 c-notes for disinformation that could have resulted in chunks of bodies on the freeway instead of a converter, is the main reason I learned about obd systems. Although most people are happy just to know they can pass there next smog test. I just thought
ymeski56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel