92-F150 Stalls in Reverse - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2003, 12:24   #1 (permalink)
Rose

Question 92-F150 Stalls in Reverse

I have a 92 F-150 351W E4OD with 71K. Just recently it will stall when you moved the shifter from Park to reverse. It starts back up but is driving me crazy. Does anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2003, 23:27   #2 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

Rose, what do you mean by stall?
Do you mean the engine quits?
Do you mean the engine hesitates when you step on the gas?
Does it do the same thing when you go into drive, after being in reverse?
Does it also 'stall' when you go from Park to Drive?
If the engine quits when you move the lever over to Reverse, there might be a Computer input problem.
On a 92 you should have some codes to help out a little. I dont know how to get those codes.
It could be something as simple as the Idle speed set too low.
It could also be running poorly, and this is just the hearld of more problems to come.
How's it run overall? Gas milage still up where it used to be?
No hesitation? Starts right up?
With what I know, that's all the Ideas I have now!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Rose

Without looking totally stupid(hard to do) here is what the problem was. Added 3qts of trans fluid fixed the problem. Like a idot I had not checked it since there was no leaks! I do appreciate the quick response. By the way I have a 79 F-150 that I bought new and it now has 240,000 miles on it(I did change out the 302 for a 71 351W at 120K when it blew). It is the last part of my youth that I still have.
Old 02-13-2003, 19:05   #4 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

LOL, the last of my youth went out with my 41 Chevvy High school car.

I hate to alarm you, but if you needed three quarts of Trans. Fluid, and no obvious leaks, your vacuam shift modulator is leaking, and your engine is burning the Trans. Oil.

Either that, or you better have one of the Kids do your looking for leaks!

Here's a link to trouble codes. It tells you how to read the codes out, and what they mean.
http://www.tradervar.com/codes.htm
Old 02-14-2003, 03:33   #5 (permalink)
Rose

Thanks.......another buddy of mine suggested that same thing. I am going to keep a extremely close eye on the fluid level and see what happens.
Old 02-15-2003, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Algae Diesle wannabee!

fluid levels might tell you something in a month or so, but parking in a clean place, or using cardboard under you vehicle, will tell you more, and a lot quicker. Read the spots n' Dots!
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel