93 xtra cab inline 6, 5 sp, oil pan gasket - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 11:50   #1 (permalink)
pjg

93 xtra cab inline 6, 5 sp, oil pan gasket

I own a 93 F-150 Xtra cab with the inline 6 engine and 5 sp manual tran. 208K miles. It needs a new oil pan gasket. Just trying for clarification on whether or not I have to lift the engine to do the replacement. One post I read says yes. The aftermarket manual says yes. But I don't see where the interference around the pan would prohibit removal without having to lift the engine! Will the pan not clear the oil pump? Also, saw some info on two-piece gaskets that might could be slipped in once the pan is unbolted and the old gasket removed. Any luck there. You can tell, I really don't want to lift the engine!!
pjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 18:03   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: 93 xtra cab inline 6, 5 sp, oil pan gasket

The pan will need to be lowered enough to clear the crank journals. You will more than likely need to raise the engine.

You 'should' be able to pull the motor mount bolts and raise the front of the engine enough with a floor jack and a block of wood to remove the pan. Watch out for the fan & shroud and anything that could be crushed at the firewall while doing this.

I'll look around and see if I can come up with detailed procedures.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 18:16   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

*edit-while you are there, might want to replace the oil pump also.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

4.9L Engine

Fig. Fig. 1: 4.9L engine oil pan installation

1. Drain the crankcase.

2. Drain the cooling system.

3. On 1987-93 models, remove the upper intake manifold and throttle body (see ).

4. Remove the starter.

5. Remove the engine front support insulator to support bracket nuts and washers on both supports. Raise the front of the engine with a transmission jack and wood block and place 1 in. (25mm) thick wood blocks between the front support insulators and support brackets. Lower the engine and remove the transmission jack.

6. Remove the oil pan attaching bolts and lower the pan to the crossmember. Remove the two oil pump inlet tube and screw assembly bolts and drop the assembly in the pan. Remove the oil pan. Remove the oil pump inlet tube attaching bolts. Remove the inlet tube and screen assembly from the oil pump and leave it in the bottom of the oil pan. Remove the oil pan gaskets. Remove the inlet tube and screen from the oil pan.

To install:

7. Clean the gasket surfaces of the oil pump, oil pan and cylinder block. Remove the rear main bearing cap to oil pan seal and cylinder front cover to oil pan seal. Clean the seal grooves.

8. Apply oil-resistant sealer in the cavities between the bearing cap and cylinder block. Install a new seal in the rear main bearing cap and apply a bead of oil-resistant sealer to the tapered ends of the seal.

9. Install new side gaskets on the oil pan with oil-resistant sealer. Position a new oil pan to cylinder front cover seal on the oil pan.

10. Clean the inlet tube and screen assembly and place it in the oil pan.

11. Position the oil pan under the engine. Install the inlet tube and screen assembly on the oil pump with a new gasket. Tighten the screws to 5-7 ft. lbs. (7-9 Nm). Position the oil pan against the cylinder block and install the attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts in sequence to 10-12 ft. lbs. (13-16 Nm).

12. Raise the engine with a transmission jack and remove the wood blocks from the engine front supports. Lower the engine until the front support insulators are positioned on the support brackets. Install the washers and nuts on the insulator studs and tighten the nuts.

13. Install the starter and connect the starter cable.

14. Install the intake manifold and throttle body, if removed.

15. Fill the crankcase and cooling system.

16. Start the engine and check for coolant and oil leaks.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:20   #4 (permalink)
pjg

Thanks jwko!

I'm guessing they tell you to remove the throttle body to avoid mashing it into the firewall when you raise the engine. Why'd they make it so complicated?
pjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel