94 F150 - Engine getting weak - options for replacement to increase MPG??? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 23:32   #1 (permalink)

94 F150 - Engine getting weak - options for replacement to increase MPG???

Hi all,

I just put about 1800 miles on my 94 F150 last week, more than half of them towing...it worked like a champ...except I noticed I had no power going up hills on the last leg...

Then I got pulled for running a red light yesterday here in Atlanta (I didn't run it...I'm waiting to see his "video"), and I let it idle in the hot weather for 30 minutes...and it began to overheat.

So anyway, long story short, I am expecting a new engine might be needed in the near future. It did a good job...truck has 199478 miles on the engine...

It gets terrible gas mileage, and I really don't need much power (towing is light, and I really don't expect to do much of it in the future anyway). So I was wondering what engine options I have that would increase my fuel economy? Maybe a more modern V8...possibly even a V6?

What will fit...? What $$ to convert? Any info/advice is appreciated! Oh, btw, the engine in it is the 5.0L V8

tHANKS
Josh
pacethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2011, 20:58   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 94 F150 - Engine getting weak - options for replacement to increase MPG???

There are some things you can check to see how the engine is doing without jumping to extremes.

First, is to get the compression checked. If the compression in all cylinders is within spec then a loss of power can knowingly be related to needing new spark plugs or even an air filter.

Second, get the fuel pressure tested. If pressure isn't within spec you could simply need a fuel filter.

Third, check the thermostat, or save yourself the time and spend the $10 on a new one. If you remove the rad cap (also can be replaced for $15 if you don't believe it's holding proper pressure) and see a white substance around the rim chances are good the coolant is shot and needs to be replaced. It's best to do a professional flush in this case for best results.

If you don't work the engine regularly, I'd keep an eye on the transmission fluid as overheating the transmission fluid can increase engine heat as they're connected directly. I doubt it's much of a concern but is still there, and is enough to keep an eye on.

To swap in another engine, let alone a new one where emissions come into play, it would be more worthwhile to seek a newer lower mileage truck. If you don't tow regularly anyway, perhaps a smaller V6 vehicle with a moderate towing capacity in your price range can be found.

Just to let you know, you didn't have to include your red light running incident although knowingly you did to brag about your innocence, as if you knew you were guilty I'm sure you wouldn't have brought it up as it doesn't pertain to any of your questions! Cheers.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel