94 F150.. need A/C Help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 09:04   #1 (permalink)

94 F150.. need A/C Help

HELP!!!!!!! pLease.....

When driving my 94 F150, my A/C stops blowing when near or above 2k rpm. I checked all the vaccum in the engine bay and all the vaccum lines under the dash. All are connected and working fine.

Today a new problem came about. While driving at or above 2k rpm, the a/c stops blowing (never turns off) and the engine starts "coughing" but never shuts off either. If I turn the air off right away the engine levels out and the "coughing" stops.

(If I take my foot off the gas pedal, the A/C starts blowing again.)

When i bought the truck I was told the compressor had a SMALL leak, so i filled it with freon and checked for leaks with a leak detector but was unable to find any leak. Here I am a week after putting in freon and the A/C is still cold (not as cold as a week ago so I do believe there is a small leak).

My questions are:

Can low freon levels cause the air to stop blowing at 2k rpm and above?
Can low freon levels make the car "cough"?
motopsyko32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 09:43   #2 (permalink)

Re: 94 F150.. need A/C Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by motopsyko32
Can low freon levels cause the air to stop blowing at 2k rpm and above?
Can low freon levels make the car "cough"?
Some vehicles were equipped with a WOT (wide open throttle) switch on the A/C system that shut off the compressor at WOT. I'm not sure about yours specifically- may want to look into it.

Freon has a lubricant in it that lubricates the bearings and everything in the compressor. If it's low, the compressor may not be properly lubricated, causing it to randomly catch, or jolt, which would cause the motor to seem to "cough", since the compressor is on a belt connected to the crank.

I'd say take it to an A/C shop that offers free inspections- they can tell you exactly what's wrong.
Freshmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:14   #3 (permalink)

i thought about the WOT switch, but when I am accelerating and reach 2500 rpms and it changes gears the air keeps blowing, its only when i am on 2k rpm or above at cruising speeds and the compressor and blower never shut off, you can hear and feel them still working...

I am convinced its a vaccum i just cant find where...
Old 09-21-2005, 10:15   #4 (permalink)

http://www.f150online.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=212232
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel