97 powerstroke long starts - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 11:16   #1 (permalink)

97 powerstroke long starts

I have a 1997 f-250 sd powersrtroke. The problem is that I have to crank the engine for about 15-20 seconds before it will start. The truck has been sitting for about a year with occassional starts to keep up the battery. I recently put a trickle charge on the battery, started it (after about 20 seconds), drove it around for awhile, parked it and after about 5 minutes went to start it and again took about 15-20 seconds to start. This happens each time I try to start it after it sits for more than a minute. I also replaced the fuel filter and it still happens. Bad fuel pump, anti-syphon valve?
pmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 16:24   #2 (permalink)

Re: 97 powerstroke long starts

check glow plugs to be sure all are working and put cleaner in fuel to be sure injectors are clean. other than that might want to put fresh fuel in truck.
rjpev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:36   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response rjpev1. It's not the fuel because after about 10-15 seconds of cranking the engine finally turns over and runs fine after that. I spoke with my mechanic and he said that there are seals around the injectors that dry out and create long starts. It's a place to start but it's beyond my mechanical abilities so I guess I'll turn it over to him.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19   #4 (permalink)
canuck

Diesels are meant to be driven, and the mechanic is right in that the seals will dry out, but if it hasn't been years I can't see a loss of compression happening. It might be worth while to get a fuel pressure test done.

Another thing you can try, is before attempting to crank the engine, keep it in "run" for a few extra seconds. that should allow the fuel pump to better prime the lines and get pressure up before you start it.

If the engine light is on, it'll be worth while to get the codes checked.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 18:37   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
Diesels are meant to be driven, and the mechanic is right in that the seals will dry out, but if it hasn't been years I can't see a loss of compression happening. It might be worth while to get a fuel pressure test done.

Another thing you can try, is before attempting to crank the engine, keep it in "run" for a few extra seconds. that should allow the fuel pump to better prime the lines and get pressure up before you start it.

If the engine light is on, it'll be worth while to get the codes checked.
Thanks 360ci. Sorry it took me so long to reply but my commuter car wouldn't start and spent 3 weeks trying to find out what the problem was. You guessed it, fuel pump. Just got the car back and I can now address the truck problem. Still not sure it's the fuel pump because the truck will run but only after cranking about 10-15 seconds. Is there 2 fuel pumps on this truck? As to the seals, I haven't driven the truck for about 2 years other than starting to charge the battery and driving it about a mile or two. Also no check engine light.
Old 03-08-2012, 18:50   #6 (permalink)
canuck

I'm not sure about it having two fuel pumps. Diesel pumps operate slower (gpm) than gas engine pumps but allow for slightly larger volume (thicker lines).

I'd take it on a couple of long trips and get it 300rpm before redline for a good 5 minutes of driving to get the valves working well.
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 03-09-2012, 16:00   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci View Post
I'm not sure about it having two fuel pumps. Diesel pumps operate slower (gpm) than gas engine pumps but allow for slightly larger volume (thicker lines).

I'd take it on a couple of long trips and get it 300rpm before redline for a good 5 minutes of driving to get the valves working well.
Are you saying run the engine to within 300 of redline for the entire "long trip" or on a number of occasions during the trip?
Old 03-09-2012, 16:03   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmat View Post
Are you saying run the engine to within 300 of redline for the entire "long trip" or on a number of occasions during the trip?
Never mind, I just reread your post and saw the part about 5 min.. Thanks I'll give it a try.
Old 03-09-2012, 16:32   #9 (permalink)
canuck

A lot of people don't 'drive' their vehicles, they drive them relatively slowly and since most are automatics, the rpms will naturally stay low as per the computer programming unless they press the pedal to the floor.

Selecting a lower gear while on the highway in any engine for a set time, will help clean out excessive carbon. Consistent high rpms can help blow out carbon and clean the valves a bit. When you see a car suddenly accelerate to pass someone, or merge onto traffic and a plume of white smoke comes out of the exhaust, you can tell the vehicle doesn't see much action above the usual 2000-3000rpm. If an engine had it's way, it'd run at maximum rpm at all times. Vehicle speed in governed through use of throttle calibration, and gears. This is why hybrids often use CVT transmissions. A CVT when you mash the throttle will slowly go up to just under the engine's redline - and stay there, until you let off the throttle. It's just too bad that CVT's sap more HP than a conventional automatic does.

Anyway, a couple good, long trips may help you here. If you have the funds, go see a relative or friend out of state even and go through a tank of fuel and as mentioned, stay in the upper RPM range for a while. 5 minutes each way at say 2700-2800rpm should be plenty, as I think your redline is around 3000rpm with the 7.3L V8 TD.

Diesel's can take more abuse and stay at high rpms longer than gas engines as they are generally over built for their purpose. That purpose is hard work, not just driving around without hauling a 40' trailer. If you had 4.56 gears in your truck, even in overdrive you'd knowingly see 2500rpm at a consistent 70mph. If you are unsure which gears you have (knowingly either 3.73 or 4.10s), check the glovebox for a sticker, the ratio should be listed on that, or on a tag/plate on the axle (might be covered in road grime).
Amsoil in all vehicles!
Old 03-10-2012, 22:55   #10 (permalink)

Have your batter tested? If one is weak that could be whats rong!
whoadale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel