Ford Forums banner

97 PS quits after I add fuel???

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bigmiked52 
#1 ·
My 97 7.3 PS (F250) had its water in fuel light on for several weeks before i turned the valve. it had been running fine in spite of the warning. didn't seem like much water came out when i turned the valve.

within 5 miles of emptying the bowl i added fuel. within 5 miles of that the truck began poor fuel delivery symptoms running rough and quitting, starting back up rough and then, within a quarter mile, quitting.

had it towed home and didn't deal with it for a few days at which point it was able to start back up a little rough and then smooth out and drive another 20-30 miles before another stop at the gas station where i filled it up.

within 5 miles of the station it again ran rough and quit with the same symptoms as the first time. also, the gas guage, in the course of all this, stopped working and registers as FULL all the time now.

any ideas?

dan

#4 ·
Agree with both, but also check your fuel filters. Who knows what you sucked up from your tank? If your filters are contaminated, your tank is too. Diesel grows algae quickly when water is present. I have seen tanks so contaminated that they required steam cleaning, and that might also be the problem with your fuel sending unit. I always try to buy Diesel at high volume stations. I can only guess as to why this happens when you fill up, but perhaps you stir up the crud when you fill the tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.