Ford Forums banner

98 f250 motor

947 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chipset 
#1 ·
I have a 98 f-250 with a 4.6 Triton V8 and its got 7 lug nuts and the motor blew up, and i was wanting to know if i could put a 5.4 or a mustang motor in it or what other motors will interchange or do i need to just put another 4.6 back in it

#3 ·
A 5.4 will drop right in and you wouldnt need a new ecu, harness or trans.

But you will need a different mid pipe (or modify your existing one), extend a few random wires, a different intake manifold and possibly a new intake tube/airbox and a tune. Im probably missing a few things but thats mostly it.

Reactions: Bert
#4 ·
replacing a truck motor with a car motor is not one of the best ideas out there. They are
different. It will work to a point. I've found quite a few people that did this were dis appointed with the power and mileage. Engine doesn't last as long if you use it as a
"truck ". EXP. I have a 75 F150 - 460 V4. I have a 75 Lincoln - 460 - V4. You'd think the
carbs are identical as you look at them. They are not. The truck carb is jetted differently
than the car carb and the power valves are different. Venture sizes are also different.
That means the truck 460 and the car 460 are also different. Just a FYI. Take care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.