99 f150 4.6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 18:04   #1 (permalink)

99 f150 4.6

ok i just got ahold of a 99 f150 4wd with the 4.6... truck runs great except a bunch of white smoke coming from exaust and a whine from the engine.. i thought the wine was a the tensioner or a pulley but got to checking around and its not.. its coming from the pass side like it is inside the block it is a really high pitch whine and when the truck warms up it seems to go away.. i plugged my code reader in and only showed engine missfire on #2 and #8 cylinders.. drove it 64 miles on the highway just fine and also has 171k on it.. a buddy of mine said he "thinks" it has a timing chain with 2 tensioners and sounds to him like that may be the problem.. ive only had 2 other ford trucks both with the 351 windsor and ran flawless never had a problem one out of them and kicking myself in the ass for selling them.. thought i would turn to the experts for advice.... thanks in advance guys!
danielsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 07:42   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: 99 f150 4.6

Smoking white or black and what do the plugs look like?
Old 11-28-2012, 20:14   #3 (permalink)

white i havent pulled the plugs yet ill do that tomorrow
danielsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 18:29   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

White could mean either antifreeze or oil, do you have to refill either? Also, the whine could be the alternator. May be just a misalignment.
Old 11-29-2012, 20:11   #5 (permalink)
Moderators

"Only a misfire on two cylinders"! White smoke!!

The engine has two cam chains and two, one for each, cam chain tensioners.
The whine is probably the least of your problems. You have an intake manifold coolant leak into a cylinder(s), or a blown head gasket, which probably is the cause of the misfire code. But #2 and #8 are different cylinder banks. Are you loosing coolant? Do you have water in your oil?

It's probably time to pull the engine and fix (rebuild the engine?) the problems before you do any more damage, but first do as Cat said. Plugs always have a story to tell. Or, you can just hang in there. You still have six cylinders left.
(Don't do that!)
Bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel