99 F150 Cluster Replacement=No Start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2007, 16:21   #1 (permalink)

99 F150 Cluster Replacement=No Start

1999 Ford F150, Came in with an Odometer coming on and off. Replaced the cluster, thought it might just be a plug and play unit. Started vehicle after finished replacing cluster, started up just fine. Let it sit over night, came back the next day, put a drive belt on the engine, went to start it and it just cranks and cranks. Truck has fuel pressure, spark, and plugs are not fouled. I used a noid light on the injectors and have no light. I noticed the theft light on the dash flashes when the key is cranking and in run position after cranking. I phoned a local ford dealer and they said that the theft system would kill the starter alltogher and not let it crank. Do fords require any type of programing after replacing the cluster? I have no way of pulling body codes. Any suggestions would be great.
Visker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2007, 19:29   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: 99 F150 Cluster Replacement=No Start

Usually a cluster requires programmable module installation for the PATS anti-theft.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 17:03   #3 (permalink)
EugeneF150

Thumbs up Re: 99 F150 Cluster Replacement=No Start

Probably too late to help Visker, but might be useful to others who have the intermittent odometer problem in 1999 - 2003 full size pickups (F150, F250, F350 and SUVs (Explorer, Expedition and I believe, but not certain also the Lincoln Navigator).

The intermittent odometer problem is fairly common and there is a simple do-it-yourself fix (As long as you don't have other issues with your instrument cluster, you shouldn't need to replace your instrument cluster.)

I had this same blinking/vanishing odometer problem in my '99 F150 for several yeas. The dealer wanted over $500 for a new cluster. I checked with a few odometer repair shops and most will fix it for around $150 - $200, but you have to remove your cluster and take or ship it to the repair shop. Your vehicle will be out of service until the cluster is repaired and reinstalled. Could be weeks if you have to ship the cluster to a repair shop out of the immediate area. Unless you have a second vehicle to drive during the repair (which I didn't) this may not be a feasible way to repair it.

I finally found and ordered a do-it-yourself repair manual that addresses this specific problem. I fixed the problem myself in about an hour. Odometer hasn't blinked a single time since! I had never removed an instrument cluster before, but it was a piece of cake with the detailed instructions and photos. I found the manual on Ford Intermittent Odometer Repair. For me, it was well worth the 20 bucks to save over $500.
EugeneF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel