Adjusting Toe In......please help - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2005, 22:06   #1 (permalink)

Adjusting Toe In......please help

how hard is it to adjust my toe-in and how is it down......i wanna fix this myself so i dont have to pay an arm and a leg plus i dont wanna eat my new tires that i have to buy to pass inspection....thank you
kephartj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2005, 22:12   #2 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Re: Adjusting Toe In......please help

Easy..
Mark the centre of each wheel with white chalk or something easily seen on the tread.
Measure that distance.
Check the specs.
If you want to toe it in, adjust the steering relay bar, it will have clamps to lock the thread , undo both sides & rotate the bar check the distance btween the 2 marks again, the distance should be samller, if its larger rotate the other way.
If its toe out you want turn it opposite.'

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 07:58   #3 (permalink)

roll Re: Adjusting Toe In......please help

Adjusting the Toe In.. is done using a alignment machine that is very expensive. You cannot do this unless you have equipment. My son and I did this on my F150 at the Automotive Tech center at OSU and it took over an hour. We had the use of their computerized alignment system and a rack.

I got a quote from a local tire shop of about $50 for the Toe.. alignment. It the eccentrics need adjusting it would go to about $100. This is cheap.
halschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 21:48   #4 (permalink)
63-1/2 Galaxie

Re: Adjusting Toe In......please help

I've done my own toe-in adjustments for years. I use two sticks each about 3' long, 1/2"-3/4" wide by about 1/4" thick, tie them together with elastic bands toward the ends, enough for them to slide lengthwise slightly. Providing your tires are even on the inside walls, no bumps or indents, place the sticks as high as possible between the two tires at the front (eg. 9 o'clock position) and mark the end of one stick with a pencil or pen. Now do the same between the two tires at the back (3 o'clock position) or as high as you can up to that position. Sometimes steering linkage or frame rails can be in the way, but usually you can get a good meausrement. Now mark the end of the stick again (same end as you marked before) then take your measurement. You will be able to tell then if you are toe-ing out or in. And you can make your adjustments from there by loosening the tie rod connector clamp bolts and turning them clockwise or anitclockwise to increase or decrease your toe-in. Just make sure your steering wheel spoke stays centered. Don't forget to tighten those tie rod connector bolts up. Now this setup works for rear wheel drive cars where you don't have all that front end drive in the way. Trucks not so bad because you have the height. If you have some mechanical abilities you should be okay. Rule of thumb is about 1/8" toe-in for two wheel rear drive, but go by your mfg specs. Vehicle should be level and best on a ramp or lift so you can get underneath it.
Butchart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel