Ford Forums banner

Alternator ?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jwko 
#1 ·
2006 F450 6.0L diesel landscape dump - was dumping yesterday w/ the truck running & when the bed was 1/2 way up, the truck died. Tried starting it but it just clicks. Hooked jumper cables up & it barely started to crank then clicks. Pouring rain so I said eff it for today. Batteries were purchased from Ford dealership 6/14 so they're not even 2.5 years old. I'm thinking it's the alternator??? If so, what alternator (manufacturer & amps) do you recommend, need to get the truck running today or tomorrow at the latest so buying one online is prob. out of the question. Thinking of AdvanceAuto, AutoZone, or CarQuest... Not sure if single or dual alternators but will check later today... Thanks!

#3 ·
Alternator was shot, so was 1 battery. Tested both batteries (before & after trickle charging), 1 was putting out low 300s CCAs & the other is mid-700 CCAs. They are both 2.5 year old Ford Motorcraft 850 CCA batteries, is the one putting out mid-700s (after trickle charging overnight) OK or should that be replaced also?

#5 ·
Isn't that what Advance Auto did when I took it there & they hooked it up to the box or no? They said it was putting out mid-700 CCAs after trickle charging overnight.

#7 ·
So I replaced one of the batteries & the alternator and the truck worked well all week until this afternoon. The guys were on their way back to the shop & the battery light started flashing. Is the 110 Amp alternator not enough (that's what was in the truck to begin with) or is the battery I didn't replace shot?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.