is anyone familiar with SCT flash programmers? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45   #1 (permalink)

is anyone familiar with SCT flash programmers?

I've recently purchased a 2003 F 150 XLT SuperCab that has Flowmaster exhaust in cold air intake it also has an SCT flash programmer with it and I'm curious to know the best program to get the best fuel economy.
Frog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 20:10   #2 (permalink)

Re: is anyone familiar with SCT flash programmers?

Hay Breenspeed out of Dunkirk Id. will sell you one and use your computer serial # to give you the best tune They race ford mustang and trucks mountanieers
When i order one for my 09 mustang Gt it felt like I got about 50HP
81first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:21   #3 (permalink)
canuck

Re: is anyone familiar with SCT flash programmers?

I have an SCT for my Durango, and had one on my old truck as well as it was more heavily modified.

I've had SCT on my Durango R/T for three years with good success. You're naive if you think any performance add ons will increase mileage. I had a horrible engine knock when towing 3 tons, and my only recourse was to get a tune. As there are no AWD dyno's within a 10 hour (one way) drive I opted to go the cheaper route with Superchips first. Superchips failed on all octane levels as I still had engine knock. SCT also gave me engine knock on 89 and 91 octane settings but none on 87 octane, hence why I still use it.

My mileage has remained the same throughout the course of owing my SCT. I did two runs to Florida. One using 87 and the other trip using 91 octane and I did my best to use Shell fuel throughout the course of the trips to remain consistent. Both trips I averaged 15.9mpg for about 2450miles per trip taking similar routes. Running the 87 produces no knock when towing (91 octane produced no knock outside of towing and did up the performance level slightly). The 5.9L V8 has no knock sensors by the way. I kept it at 87 octane since as I tow regularly and would rather get more life out of my engine then a ever so slight performance benefit while using lower cost fuel. It's a win win win for me.

An SCT can be calibrated to your engines modifications and depending on the model you purchase, you can get unlimited tunes. When you upgrade parts you can send in the specs and the SCT rep will send you an updated tune at a specified octane.

If you want fuel economy, don't get a programmer. Make sure the tires are filled with air to their max, and run synthetic fluids all around as that is the best bang for the buck mileage you can truly get. If you want performance over mileage, then by all means, let the modding begin! :)
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel