Belt squeal ? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 17:41   #1 (permalink)

Belt squeal ?

I have a 1998 F150 Supercab 4.6L. It has 63000 miles. I have kept up on the maintenance. I have a squeal noise comming from the serpentein belt. I replaced the belt and the squeal was still there but only when I would turn on the AC or during acceleration. I replaced the tensioner, still same problem I replaced the idler and now the squeal has gotten worse and is there at idle and very loud. I replaced the alternator still same problem. I should also mention I did remove the belt and clean it with soap and water and cleaned all pulleys with degreaser. The squeal gets louder when I turn on the ac compressor but it is always there. I tried using stethescope but the sound is everwhere like its comming from the belt. the only thing I have left is the compressor, waterpump and power steering. ANY SUGESTIONS ON HOW TO DIAGNOSE?

Thanks
Anthony.
cnctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 19:45   #2 (permalink)

Re: Belt squeal ?

I Prefer To Buy Belts Only From The Dealer And Not From Aftermarket Part Stores Just For This Reason. Everytime I Buy An Aftermarket Belt They Start Squealing Shortly After. If I Buy An Original Equipment Belt No Problems--yet.
BLACKSNAKE427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:39   #3 (permalink)

Thanks I will get one today and try and will post my findings.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:53   #4 (permalink)

Ok I went to dealer and they didnt have a belt. I had one of the mechanics look at it and he said it looked like one of the aftermarket parts, (idler pulley, tensioner) were the source of the noise. I came back home and swapped the idler - no difference. I swapped the tensioner and everything went back to the way it was before. A loud squeal when AC compressor is on but no squeal at idle. That means it is either the water pump, AC compressor or power steering pump. I think the new tensioner put more tension on the belt thus more load on the bearing. ONLY THING IS WHICH BEARING???

What a pain in the !##.

Any other ideas.

If it is the belt slipping then the new tensioner should have made the problem better not worse. I am using a Gates belt and it still looks like new. The only thing I can think to try is to get a belt for my truck without ac. Then that would leave the waterpump or power steering. The power steering does not make any noise when I turn the wheel nor does the belt squeal any louder. So I think it has to be the water pump or the AC bearing. I am going to try the AC bearing first. That would be the easiest.

Just thinking this thru.
Old 11-15-2008, 18:20   #5 (permalink)

Have You Tried To Feel For Play In Any Of The Pulleys With The Belt Off? Is The Tensioner And Pulley The Same Size From Old To New? With The Old Belt On The Pulleys Go To The Auto Parts Store And Buy Some Belt-ease And Spray It On Just The Belt On One Side With Ac On If No Change Spray Some On The Other Side If No Change Then You Know For Sure It Is Not The Belt Or Tension Of The Belt It Would Be A Bearing. Just Thinking Out Loud. The Idea Of Getting A Belt Without Ac...if It Squeals Only When The Ac Is Turned On Causing More Load On The System Then How Would You Be Able To Hear The Squeal With The Ac Out Of The Picture (no Load)? I Would First Check For Play In All Bearings With The Belt Off Then Spin By Hand And Listen Carefully For Grinding Type Noises If Not Noticing Anything Then I Would Spray The Belt-ease (belt Conditioner) And Do Above One Side At A Time. -let Me Know What You Find Out?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:27   #6 (permalink)

I did try using belt dressing and it made no difference. The squeal occurs when I rev the engine or at idle when I turn on the A/C.
No A/C at idle no squeal or a "bip" every now and then.
No A/C rev the engine constant squeal.
A/C on at idle a constant squeal.
A/C on and rev the engine a louder squeal.

Where to find an A/C bearing? I tried to look at the tag on the compressor but it was covered in gunk, I wiped off the gunk and also wiped off the information. Does anyone know the part number for an A/C compressor for a 1998 Ford F150 supercab 4.6L, 2wd, automatic. The compressor is located on bottom, passenger side.
Thanks

Can this bearing be replaced? I have removed several on other cars and the bearing is attached to the pully.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:53   #7 (permalink)

Found a problem. The bearing in the A/C pully was spinning inside the pully. Meaning the outside of the bearing that touches the pulley was not tight, I punched around the ID of the pully to tighten up the bearing then filed the extrusions installed and now the squeal is gone. At idle, reving the engine with or without the AC.
However,
I am now hearing a grinding noise from one of the bearings. I cant really say it sounds like grinding more like a noise when your low on power steering fluid but not exactly. Its hard to explain the sound but it does sound like its coming from one of the bearings. SO I guess I need to get the AC pully and clutch.

The squeal is gone though. WhOOoooo. A step in the right direction. I guess I could run it for a while and take a temperature scan of all the pullys cold then hot to see if that might tell me something.

Now on to find a clutch pulley....
Old 11-16-2008, 11:21   #8 (permalink)

WHOOOOOO!!!! ON TO THE NOISE.

I THINK YOUR IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION AS FAR AS THE "P/S NOISE" ON THE AC CLUTCH BEARING IF IT WAS SPINNING THEN BEARING WAS NOT TIGHT AND BY BUYING A NEW AC CLUTCH ASSEMBLY WITH BEARING SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL TAKE CARE OF IT..... FINALLY
Old 11-17-2008, 19:03   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnctony View Post
Found a problem. The bearing in the A/C pully was spinning inside the pully. Meaning the outside of the bearing that touches the pulley was not tight, I punched around the ID of the pully to tighten up the bearing then filed the extrusions installed and now the squeal is gone. At idle, reving the engine with or without the AC.
However,
I am now hearing a grinding noise from one of the bearings. I cant really say it sounds like grinding more like a noise when your low on power steering fluid but not exactly. Its hard to explain the sound but it does sound like its coming from one of the bearings. SO I guess I need to get the AC pully and clutch.

The squeal is gone though. WhOOoooo. A step in the right direction. I guess I could run it for a while and take a temperature scan of all the pullys cold then hot to see if that might tell me something.

Now on to find a clutch pulley....
Drop a post to let us know how this turn out if ya could. I have a 2000 F150 4 x 4 with the 4.6L and have had to deal with the squealing belt for years. A new Gator belt didn't do the trick for me so I don't think in my case it's the belt.

Let us know how yours turns out...

Thanks.

Tom
Stayfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:28   #10 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Belt squeal / problem gone.

Squeal completely gone.

I looked everywhere for a new pully and finally found a used one at an Auto A/C shop that had an old FS10 compressor. They sold me the old pully, clutch, and coil for 40.00. I went home and cleaned with wire wheel and WD-40, wiped down and blew off debris. I put on the pully and clutch as they looked better than mine and tried the different spacers to get clearance from the clutch plate to the pully. About a 20 min. job including the cleaning. I drove over 1200 miles Houston to FLorida and no squeal quiet as a mouse/ less the squeal.

I could have gone to the junk yard and found one for probably less but didn't have the time. We have 2 junk yards in town where you remove the part and I have saved a lot of money getting my mechanical parts there.

I spent 150.00 alternator, Idler pully 38.00, tensioner idler 48.00, belt 37.00 and finally the clutch pully that did the trick 40.00. $313.00. I keep telling myself at least all the parts are new and I dont have to worry about them again but it would have been a lot cheaper if I could have found this post first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel