Blinkers/turn signals don't work in hot weather? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 07:31   #1 (permalink)
Dave in Dallas

Blinkers/turn signals don't work in hot weather?

When the air temperature inside the van is warm or hot, the blinkers do not work. If I turn the a/c on full blast while driving they *sometimes* start working again, until the van warms up.
On cool and cold mornings they work fine. By the afternoon they do not.
We live in Texas = lots of hot days.
This problem has been there for several years - the dealers are unable to replicate it - they drive it early in the morning when it is cool.
I have replaced the flasher unit. It worked - until it got hot then it did not. The original one worked the next morning too - till it got hot.

I suspect that the fuse box - near the driver's foot - was kicked and is damaged in such a way that when the air is hot and some expansion occurs that a connector breaks. My fuse box does not have a cover over it - If it originally came with one then a previous dealer service department must have lost it years ago.
I have replaced the fuses - makes no difference.

I am contemplating replacing the whole fuse panel, but wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this?

Thanks in advance
OraDbaforPsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 19:22   #2 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Re: Blinkers/turn signals don't work in hot weather?

Sounds more like the multi-purpose switch. Heat causing expansion causing the contacts not to make. If it were the fuse box, I'd think the fuse would be somewhat loose. If it were the supply voltage, you'd have problems elsewhere.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:55   #3 (permalink)
Dave in Dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSkinner View Post
Sounds more like the multi-purpose switch. Heat causing expansion causing the contacts not to make. If it were the fuse box, I'd think the fuse would be somewhat loose. If it were the supply voltage, you'd have problems elsewhere.
Usually, when the blinkers stop working, the cruise control does not work either, so you could be right. I guess I need to find a sticky on how to change it out.
I wish there was a way to test before I start replacing parts.
OraDbaforPsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 17:56   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

Once you get in there, you might be able to tell by resistance across the terminals when you close the switch or condition of the connectors. If you see corrosion build up, start replacing.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel