Ford Forums banner

Brake Nightmare 2004 F150

34K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Screwdriver 
#1 ·
I've done a search and don't seem to find our 2004 F150 brake problems here in this forum. Many other sites have thousands of 2004 owners with the same complaints and I'm hoping I've missed it or if one of you know the solution. We've lost count of the visits to the dealerships - somewhere btw 8-13, the dealerships for some reason do NOT enter each time you are there for the brake problem, as I have found this is the same pattern thru others online.
Our F150 started having a spongy pedal, excessive pedal travel (4" to hard pedal on the F150, my Explorer is 1")pedal to floor and warped rotors in the 1st 3000 miles. The rotors were replaced - only to warp again within 1000 miles - they were then turned. The brakes have been bleed several times. Repeated times we were told the brakes were normal - it's not normal to have to drive 2 footed. One foot pumping the brakes up, one for the accelerator. If by chance you negelect pumping the brake pedal and have to come to an emergency stop the pedal will go to the floor - we've had numerous near crashes due to these brakes. We went to another dealer after I phoned the 800 # for Ford - there is a TSB to replace the rotors and calipers with updated parts. These were replaced BUT we still have excessive pedal travel, STILL have to pump the brake pedal while driving. And we are still being told there is nothing wrong with our brakes. I do not drive my husbands truck unless it's an emergency - I'm afraid I will harm someone or of course. myself. (Not to mention I don't want to be the one driving when the failure occurs and I wreck my husbands truck!)
If anyone out there could address their pedal travel, I'd appreciate it. I would esp like to hear from someone who has had this problem and had it fixed properly.
My husband has a friend w/ a 2005 and it has some of the above mentioned brake problems, also.
This was to be my husbands dream - there were only 2 available in the US with all the bells and whistles, the interior, color, etc that he wanted at that time. I conned a dealership salesman to look it up, found one in Tennessee, on one on it's way to Georgia from the assembly plant in KC,MO,:we dealt with the GA dealer and they drove it to us in SC. We've had Fords all our lives, this is the first problem we have had that cannot be resolved.
Any and all comments are appreciated. We are desperate.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am having the exact same problem with my 2006 Ford F 150. The dealer here also says "this is normal". They have often tried to refuse documenting my complaints, but I have learned to be adamant that they do so, if only to get some response from corporate. To date, the problem still exists and the pedal travels to the floor every time I brake. Has anyone responded to this post by lcarothers?

#4 ·
jscott said:
I am having the exact same problem with my 2006 Ford F 150. The dealer here also says "this is normal". They have often tried to refuse documenting my complaints, but I have learned to be adamant that they do so, if only to get some response from corporate. To date, the problem still exists and the pedal travels to the floor every time I brake. Has anyone responded to this post by lcarothers?
I would also be interested in finding out. Unless you guys are experiencing "Step-through" which is a "Normal Condition" for four wheel disc brakes. If you come to a stop and then mash harder on the pedal, it will go to the floor, but the truck should not just roll away.

#5 ·
I have lots to update on our brake situation but due to company this weekend I cannot take the 30 min it would take to type it up. When you cannot get your dealer to continue to attempt to repair try another dealer. Then start calling the 800 # - keep a list of every time you have been to the dealer. They will NOT give you a RO (repair order) every time you are there. When you call the 800#, have you notes ready to give your attempted repair info. When you speak w/ the cust svc reps you may be suprised to find these dealers charge Ford for warrenty work you DID NOT have done. (We found 3 separate instances that a dealer charged Ford for work they HAD NOT performed.) Keep a notebook and never ever loose your temper while dealing with svc writers, techs, svc mgrs, field reps, cust care telephone reps, etc. It will get you no where - but remember a squeeky wheel is taken care of 1st - don't give up. You should get bumped up to what they call tier 2 - watch out for these folks - they will close a case without ever talking to you. Call back to customer care every couplle of weeks to make sure that has not happened.
Please be advised to do as many google, yahoo searches as you can - we are not alone.
As of last week there are 33 complaints to the NTSB - but they are still searching as many get filed under the wrong classification when filed online. The only thing that is stoppping an investigation is that there have been "NO DEATHS, or SERIOUS INJURY", as of last week.
It's no step thru - this is a full pedal to the floor as if a valve is open in the ABS system - allowing the brake fluid to continue to flow instead of a closing valve resulting in a hard pedal.
I'm not giving this up - all I want is for this truck to have brakes. I will not pursure a "lemon law". I know the engineers must know what is wrong - I believe that it may be a costly recall that Ford would be hard pressed to financially cover. We WANT this truck! Just with brakes!
I've owed a Ford my entire life (my husband did have Chevys until 1986 or so, then went to Fords)- we refuse to buy outside of the USA - but I can't help but wonder why Toyota has been running their truck comercials showing how their trucks stop with max load. I hesitate to think what could happen if my husbands truck was loaded to 9500 lbs and we had to atttempt an emergency stop.
I'll try to catch up with our story on Monday, the 23rd.
Good luck and please drive safe!

#6 ·
I would like to issue a warning to anyone with a 2004 F-150.
The brake problems that I experienced were almost tragic.
It turns out that the rear brakes of these trucks have a dual braking system. The disc brakes are for the regular braking, but the parking brake is attached to a drum brake system.
My rear drum brakes were locking-up. The actuator in the brake linkage somehow became locked, and would cause the truck to vibrate. We thought it was an out of balance tire or some other cause.
The heat from the locked brake was so intense, it destroyed the bearing seals.
While on a trip 300 miles from home, the tire on the same side "blew out".
Now, mind you, I cannot prove the heat from this "locking brake" caused by "blow out", but logic would suggest that this could very well have been the cause.
At the present time, Ford is refusing to pay for the repair which cost almost $700, but I am re-submitting the cost.

My concern, as far as this forum goes, is the safety issue: I don't want to see someone hurt (or worse).

#10 ·
lcarothers said:
I've done a search and don't seem to find our 2004 F150 brake problems here in this forum. Many other sites have thousands of 2004 owners with the same complaints and I'm hoping I've missed it or if one of you know the solution. We've lost count of the visits to the dealerships - somewhere btw 8-13, the dealerships for some reason do NOT enter each time you are there for the brake problem, as I have found this is the same pattern thru others online.
Our F150 started having a spongy pedal, excessive pedal travel (4" to hard pedal on the F150, my Explorer is 1")pedal to floor and warped rotors in the 1st 3000 miles. The rotors were replaced - only to warp again within 1000 miles - they were then turned. The brakes have been bleed several times. Repeated times we were told the brakes were normal - it's not normal to have to drive 2 footed. One foot pumping the brakes up, one for the accelerator. If by chance you negelect pumping the brake pedal and have to come to an emergency stop the pedal will go to the floor - we've had numerous near crashes due to these brakes. We went to another dealer after I phoned the 800 # for Ford - there is a TSB to replace the rotors and calipers with updated parts. These were replaced BUT we still have excessive pedal travel, STILL have to pump the brake pedal while driving. And we are still being told there is nothing wrong with our brakes. I do not drive my husbands truck unless it's an emergency - I'm afraid I will harm someone or of course. myself. (Not to mention I don't want to be the one driving when the failure occurs and I wreck my husbands truck!)
If anyone out there could address their pedal travel, I'd appreciate it. I would esp like to hear from someone who has had this problem and had it fixed properly.
My husband has a friend w/ a 2005 and it has some of the above mentioned brake problems, also.
This was to be my husbands dream - there were only 2 available in the US with all the bells and whistles, the interior, color, etc that he wanted at that time. I conned a dealership salesman to look it up, found one in Tennessee, on one on it's way to Georgia from the assembly plant in KC,MO,:we dealt with the GA dealer and they drove it to us in SC. We've had Fords all our lives, this is the first problem we have had that cannot be resolved.
Any and all comments are appreciated. We are desperate.
I think the brakes of this kind of car is too weak. That is why it is hard to stop it (F 150, Expedition) when it is already at high speed. Therefore accidents occur. The brakes cannot handle the power of the engine. I think, with this size and power of vehicle, air brakes should be installed. What you think??

#11 ·
I also have never heard of this type of problem. Especially one that a Ford service department would say that there is no problem with.
There are very few components that make the brake system work. The pedal, master cylinder, brake lines, wheel cylinders, brake pads and rotors or drums.
The warping is generally caused by getting the rotors hot and then driving through water puddles. That will warp a rotor very quickly.
I'm not suggesting that is the case here but people that don't realize what they are doing and drive with their left foot on the brake most if not all of the time are actually applying some pressure to the braking system. this will get the brake hot, especially if it's is driven in heavy and stop and go traffic.
If this particular truck was purchased a used vehicle, it could very well be a preexisting problem.
I've driven nothing but Ford trucks and I recently traded a 2004 F150 that had an excellent brake system.

I would strongly suggest that you contact a Ford Motor Company representative personally and ask them to evaluate the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.