Can stuck caliper cause Check Engine Light? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
2005 F-150

Can stuck caliper cause Check Engine Light?

2005 F-150 Super Crew, 2WD, 5.4L Automatic.

I'm probably a victim of several unrelated things all happening at once but I'm just not sure.

I had to have some body work done and took it to my local Ford dealership. While the truck was in the shop, the dealer called and told me there was some recall work which needed to be performed and asked if I wanted them to do it. I said "sure", as long as it's in the shop, that would be great! Unfortunately, I didn't ask WHAT recall work was needed.

I picked up the truck today. Body work was great but within 15 miles of in-town driving, the left front caliper stuck, causing the expected smell, vibration and smoke. As I was pulling into the next available parking lot to get the thing stopped, the Check Engine light came on. Of course, it was now 7:00 PM on Friday so the dealership is closed. I limped the thing home and was planning on replacing the caliper over the weekend. However, a quick search online showed me that one of the newer recalls for this model has to do with the brake booster vacuum hose. I have no idea if that was the work performed on the truck but if it was, I'm wondering if that could have any relationship to the caliper sticking? I try not to be a mechanic's nightmare and blame them whenever something goes wrong right after having repair work done. But, before I plunk down the hundred bucks or so for a caliper and give up 1/2 of my Saturday fixing this, I thought I'd throw the question out there. Is there a possibility that the caliper sticking is related to the brake booster vacuum hose replacement?

Also, would a problem with a brake caliper cause the Check Engine light to come on? I wouldn't think so but readily admit that I'm only a wanna-be mechanic. I don't have a tool to check the codes and until I get the caliper replaced, don't want to drive it the 10 miles or so to AutoZone to have it checked. I'm not looking for a definite answer here - I realize that isn't possible. Just trying to figure out if there could be any relationship between these events.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
2005 F-150

Re: Can stuck caliper cause Check Engine Light?

Okay, I solved part of the puzzle. I found a neighbor with a code reader and was able to pull the Check Engine code. It was completely unrelated. Turned out to be a loose connection between the PCM and the IAC. Got that one fixed, cleared the code and all seems to be well again.

Still wondering about the possibility of a relationship between the Brake Booster Hose and the sticking caliper but am beginning to seriously doubt that they are related.
Old 07-11-2014, 20:25   #3 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

The code could reflect back to the vacuum hose to the booster, but I seriously doubt the caliper. You'd more likely get the ABS light flashing.
Old 07-13-2014, 15:29   #4 (permalink)
Moderators

As far as the code relating to IAC than it wouldn't have the booster recall. The booster recall was on certain 5.4 3valve motets. Don't remember production. That motor doesn't have IAC.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
r-clar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel