Chip up performance shorten engine life?? Rumoured better 1-2 mpg better? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2006, 18:12   #1 (permalink)

Chip up performance shorten engine life?? Rumoured better 1-2 mpg better?

Of the three stages of performance enhancing... Does the fist stage, safe for towing, hurt the engine or lower its life expectancy? It is rumoured that it enhances performance enought to give 1-2 mpg better fuel economy, that is if you keep your foot out of it... Any Feedback?

Thanks, from the "Lone Ranger" in Australia, 2003 F-250 Crew Cab, front and rear ARB Diff Locks, air bag over suspension, and more for going "Out Bush"..
Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2006, 18:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Chip up performance shorten engine life?? Rumoured better 1-2 mpg better?

Should have said 7.3 ltr diesel as are most here... LR
Old 02-16-2006, 13:53   #3 (permalink)
wwb

The likelihood that any modification purporting to increase performance would also decrease fuel consumption is VERY slim.

The capability of a given engine to produce a certain level of power will have little or no effect on its longevity; if, on the other hand, it is asked to produce elevated power levels for a protracted period of time, it will shorten the life.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 19:36   #4 (permalink)

Thank you WWB..
This comes from a Reputable Source, the President of our Bushtracker Owners Group. That is why the question here, there would be more Fords running in the States than we have people here in Australia.. But his results were interesting in that the Tuner paid for itself in this time... But I am still wondering if it means lowered engine live with enhanced performance.. Have a read: (In kilometres in Australia, and litres of diesel)

I "Re-Tuned" the F250 to the first stage with a Superchips Microtuner prior to the last trip. Results were good, paid for the tuner.
Mileage without tuner was 24.4 litres per 100 Kl, average over 28,000 Kl.
With tuner set to stage #1 we got 22.2 litres per 100 Kl average over 24,000 Kl. Best economy was 19.1 l/p/100K, wost 24.3 l/p/100K.

So on the last trip we saved 528 Lt of diesel and at an avge price of $1.27 that is a dollar saving of $670.00

The other reason for having the Superchips is that it will read the fault codes in the F truck, something most bush mechanics can not do.

Performance improvement was also very noticeable, truck much more responsive. (end)

Any further comments or ideas?
Regards from the Ranger in Australia....
Old 02-18-2006, 19:14   #5 (permalink)

85 f250 good 4x4 drive train - body average for age - engine does not run - good turbo- what engines work
soneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 11:08   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
Thank you WWB..
This comes from a Reputable Source, the President of our Bushtracker Owners Group. That is why the question here, there would be more Fords running in the States than we have people here in Australia.. But his results were interesting in that the Tuner paid for itself in this time... But I am still wondering if it means lowered engine live with enhanced performance.. Have a read: (In kilometres in Australia, and litres of diesel)

I "Re-Tuned" the F250 to the first stage with a Superchips Microtuner prior to the last trip. Results were good, paid for the tuner.
Mileage without tuner was 24.4 litres per 100 Kl, average over 28,000 Kl.
With tuner set to stage #1 we got 22.2 litres per 100 Kl average over 24,000 Kl. Best economy was 19.1 l/p/100K, wost 24.3 l/p/100K.

So on the last trip we saved 528 Lt of diesel and at an avge price of $1.27 that is a dollar saving of $670.00

The other reason for having the Superchips is that it will read the fault codes in the F truck, something most bush mechanics can not do.

Performance improvement was also very noticeable, truck much more responsive. (end)

Any further comments or ideas?
Regards from the Ranger in Australia....
are you saying that the chip, or program doesnt shorten life? its not like I will try to smoke the tires on asphalt or anything, but I could stand a little more power and better fuel mileage wouldnt hurt my feelings at all. if I understand it right , there is one program out there that also increases the amount of hydraulic pressure that is applied to the clutches in the trans. the trans needs to be beefed up also if your putting down more power.
JOHULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 16:21   #7 (permalink)

On the same tuner, there are three stages.... On stage one what is reported is a 1-2 mpg increase... Stage two and three are a bit stupid and yes could hurt the trans if towing... Manufacturer says towing limit to 750 kg on stage two and 0 towing on stage three... Those upper two stages are for the throttle jockeys... I was only talking about our experience reported on Stage I...

Regards from the Lone Ranger..
Old 03-13-2006, 12:54   #8 (permalink)
wwb

That makes more sense. On the lowest setting, the fuel delivery is restricted (and, as a result, the available power is reduced) in order to increase mileage. As soon as you set it for more power, your fuel consumption will certainly increase.

Put very simply, you must burn fuel to produce power.... more fuel = more power; less fuel = less power. Other engine design factors will come into play, as well. If you wanted the absolute best mileage, you would need to generate fuel island curves for your engine on a dynamometer, and then gear the vehicle to match the lowest BSFC. The performance, however, would be dismal; you wouldn't use a stopwatch to time 0-60.... you'd use a calendar.
wwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 16:43   #9 (permalink)

Hello wwb,
The funny thing is, of the ones reporting to us to be running on Stage I, they are reporting enhanced performance AND better fuel economy... I agree with your argument, but they have the reports to back it up... We have about 90 or so of our Customers running the F-250,350's with the 7.3 from 2000-2006 ones, and a good dozen are running the Chip up, reporting the enhanced performance particularly down low and better fuel economy when towing...?? Both could be right, you and them, as you could be correct about running around town, but something in the enhanced performance gives better fuel economy when towing. I have enough reports on it to be credible, these are well off retired sorts for the most part.. It is true...

I was wondering if it means increased line pressures to the injectors or timing advance or something that would shorten engine life long term...???? Or if there was any experience on it in the USA....

Regards from the "Lone Ranger" in Australia
Old 03-18-2006, 23:51   #10 (permalink)

how much are you towing to get such a high fuel consumption?

my 2002 4x4 supercab i6 mwm turbo diesel 5 spd manual gets 13.5l per 100kms im towing 2500kgs and carring about 1000kgs on the back of the tray.
it will easily sit on 110kms and pulls strongly up hills.

i was thinking of getting a 7.3l psd but they sound very thirsty on the diesel.
superdutydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel