Ford Forums banner

Clutch Chatter

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  sixt5 
#1 ·
During the instalation of the newly rebuilt 300-6 into my '65 F-100 I also installed a new Borg Warner 11" clutch assembly. It also was balance at the peformance shop where the engine was rebuilt.
I followed all of the proper torque settings and proceedures but, still have significant chatter while releasing the clutch in low gear.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to correct this situation or what I could have done wrong.

#2 ·
Did you surface the flywheel?
Did you get any grease or oil on the clutch friction surfaces (did you wash your hands)?
Did you clean the flywheel and pressure plate with brakleen or the like?
How are your engine mounts?
Do you have an oil leak that may have contaminated the new clutch?
These are the most common causes of chatter.

G
#3 ·
"Did you surface the flywheel?
Did you get any grease or oil on the clutch friction surfaces (did you wash your hands)?
Did you clean the flywheel and pressure plate with brakleen or the like?
How are your engine mounts?
Do you have an oil leak that may have contaminated the new clutch?
These are the most common causes of chatter."

I just finished replacing a 300 6 in my 84 4x, and had no problems but I would check the list of to do and not to do's!

#4 ·
I was carefull to check all of those things that were mentioned.
I'm not sure how motor mounts can cause clutch chatter.
I did notice during the torquing process that the socket did not have good clearance on the side causing drag that may have cause the bolt to be unevenly tightened. I also think that the flywheel may not have gotten such a good resurfacing job. oh well, I guess I can pull it all off and start over.

#7 ·
Dave,
I afraid you are probably correct. I think I may have gotten a bad re-surface job on the flywheel. I'm wondering also how much the steel spacer plate that goes between the engine and the bellhousing may have to do with alignment. I guess if it's old enough to rust away some thickness on one side it may cause mis-alignment while tightening the bolt on the bell housing to engine block.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.