Disable the Door / Ignition Chime? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 18:36   #1 (permalink)

Disable the Door / Ignition Chime?

Anybody know how to disable the "key in ignition chime" when the drivers door is opened. I absolutely HATE the noisemaker that chimes incessantly when I leave the key in the ignition. It is so aggravating to be forced to remove the keys when I really want them to stay in the ignition. My truck is a 2007 F150. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ddtls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 16:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: Disable the Door / Ignition Chime?

Go to Advance Auto Parts (or Checker, or Auto Zone, or ...) . Purchase a Haynes service manual for your vehicle. In the manual you will find wiring diagrams. Using those diagrams, you can trace the chime and determine the appropriate disconnect point.
Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Crabby,

The Hanes manual was not much help, but the Factory Service manual was. Figuring out what to do took a while, but performing the surgery only took a few minutes. I took pic's and wrote a description I can post if anyone is interested.
ddtls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:35   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtls View Post
Thanks Crabby,

The Hanes manual was not much help, but the Factory Service manual was. Figuring out what to do took a while, but performing the surgery only took a few minutes. I took pic's and wrote a description I can post if anyone is interested.
hi, i would like to know how to do this. please post pics and description if you could. thanks, Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 16:54   #5 (permalink)

Please send this to me - I have a 2005 Ford F150

Thanks!

email

dirkdahms@hotmail.com
dahmsins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:16   #6 (permalink)

Well, after much searching to find anything on the 2009 F250 Super Duty to no avail, I finally dug into it and took care of it myself. The seatbelt chime was no problem, just some clunky programming with the seatbelt latch. You would think that Ford could come up with a programming function to disable the key reminder door chime. After all, it seems to me that if anything, the seatbelt reminder would be more vital than a door chime. I guess engineers have decided it's more important that you save your vehicle from easy theft than to save your life. (I'll never understand the engineers mind.)

Read through all the steps before starting. It may save you some time.

1. Anyhow, to begin you need to have a clean floorboard or at least a drop cloth and a good flexible flashlight. Directly under the steering column there is a flat panel covering access to wiring and cabling. This is a vertical panel angling down towards the foot pedals and matches the rest of the interior of the truck. You should notice a small notch at the bottom center of the panel (you have to get low to see it) which looks perfect for slipping a slotted screwdriver in and prying out the panel to remove it. Gently pry up on the bottom with your fingers - first one side, then the other. The top can be removed by gently pulling out on the bottom of the panel in a left to right pattern, which completely removes the panel. This now allows you to remove the bottom portion of the steering column (if necessary) and gives you access to the wiring which controls the ignition functions.

If you have big hands or just don't have enough room to move then do the next step, but otherwise you should be able to skip it and save yourself some headache and time.

2. Remove the three hex bolts under the steering column and place them somewhere safe. Now, laying on your back look up inside and find where the top portion of the steering column housing clips into the bottom portion (one on the right and one on the left). Work these two together, being very careful not to damage the clips or the housing and gently pull the bottom part down only until you have enough room to complete step 3. You don't have to completely separate the two housings so don't try to disengage the top clips. This is just to give you some more wiggle room. Remember, most people will not have to do this step.

3. Looking up from underneath you should see on the right side of the steering column (your right as you are looking at it) a wiring harness clipped into the column. There are 7-10 wires running into it, depending what is installed on your truck. This harness should be sitting vertical as you look at it with the removal clip on the right side of it. Carefully reach in and disengage the clip by pinching it together, pulling slightly on the harness until it unseats and removes completely.

4. Remove any tape around the wires that might be prohibiting access to them. If you look closely, you'll see that each wire enters the harness in a numbered slot - 1 through 10. They are numbered 1-5 on the top and 6-10 on the bottom. You are looking for the wire in slot #3 (It should be the center slot on the top of it). It probably is a blue wire with a slate (gray) tracer. A couple inches back from the harness, cut this wire in two and endcap both ends with a clip or black tape. Retape the wire bundle back together and insert the harness back into the jack on the column being careful to keep the clip on the right side. Seat it gently, but firmly.

5. Now test to see if your door chimes with the key in the ignition. If it does chime then you've cut the wrong wire. Get back in there and double check your work. If you've cut the wrong wire make sure that you fix it properly before you close everything back up. If it does work, congratulations!

6. When finished clip the two halves of the steering column housing together and screw the three hex bolts back in to the underneath (only if you did this in step 2). Then reinsert the vertical panel, being careful not to damage the plastic locking clips on insertion. Enjoy your new silent truck!!

Now don't forget and leave your keys in the ignition because you've just removed Ford from any culpability in the theft of your vehicle by leaving the keys in it.

Cheers!
grmjordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:33   #7 (permalink)

Hi. I need to perform this operation on my 97 Lincoln TC. I wonder how different the wiring harnesses are? Advice? Thanks. Chris.
roys101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 18:28   #8 (permalink)

It is much easier to disconnect the chime relay from it's harness than to go thru all of this.
mcsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:46   #9 (permalink)
Bronco Guru

If you don't want the chime to respond to the key being in, remove the switch from the lock cylinder that tells it when the key is in. It might take 30 sec if you take a break in the middle. Click my tan CV in my sig & read thru the Steering Column album.
Steve83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 20:32   #10 (permalink)
97 f150 4.6 5 spd 2wd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby View Post
Go to Advance Auto Parts (or Checker, or Auto Zone, or ...) . Purchase a Haynes service manual for your vehicle. In the manual you will find wiring diagrams. Using those diagrams, you can trace the chime and determine the appropriate disconnect point.
dont buy haynes they suck balls buy a chilton service manual many more tips sorry crabby
bud_516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel