Drive shaft on my 79 f250 trailer special - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 03:20   #1 (permalink)

Drive shaft on my 79 f250 trailer special

Hey i live up in fort wayne in. And i was playing around in my truck and shattered the spider gear housing and i found out after replacing the axle that i cracked the rear ear on the drive shaft and i took it to a shop they said it would be like $200 to repair it because its the wrong drive shaft and they can make a new one for $122 what do u think i should do repair it or replace it?

Sent from my MB855 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Metalhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 08:04   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Drive shaft on my 79 f250 trailer special

How do they know it's the wrong one? It's been working. If there's another place, I'd check there.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:53   #3 (permalink)

Thanks i mean i told them its the orignal driveshaft but we dont have anyother places where i live
Old 08-11-2012, 10:24   #4 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

I really question the validity of their claim. A new drive shaft on line is going to cost you between $200-300 and they're pretty easy io install and pull, at the very least, I'd get them to explain how it's the wrong one since it's original.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:28   #5 (permalink)

Thats where im standing so i dont know if i should let them or find another place

Old 08-12-2012, 06:48   #6 (permalink)
Dazed and Confused

You mentioned that there aren't many places up there, since a driveshaft can easily be ordered, at the very least get them to justify that the driveshaft is the wrong one. If the original is damaged, it needs to be replaced. The onus is on them to gain your trust. Look up a few things on what you know about your truck, i.e. oem data on the drive train and get them to cough up a reason for it not being the right one. Two things may come out of it, if they can justify it to your satisfaction, you now have a mechanic you can rely on who's going to be honest because they know you're not going to roll over to whatever they say. The other possibility is that they are trying to dump manure on you and you haven't paid dearly to find out they're ripping you off. A letter to the local paper with the facts and they may have to change their ways.
CatSkinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 21:29   #7 (permalink)

Ok ill look in to that thx man

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel