Ford Forums banner

Electric Locks Problem

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  '92BigBronco 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Ford F250, the electrical locks have not been working properly lately. Problem is that when you hit the unlock/lock button the locks actuator is being activated but not enough for the lock to unlock/lock. I thought maybe it could be my battery (Original battery), maybe not giving the acuators enough juice. But since I have had no other indicatiions that my battery was bad, I am reluctant to spring for a new battery if that's not the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Don't worry about changing your battery, I've had the actuators go out in my Bronco as well and they did the same thing. The actuators are held in place by a metal clip that is riveted to the door frame. If it sounds like the actuator is rattling around in the door, it may have come out of the bracket that holds it in place. If it just doesn't seem to have enough juice to get the door locked and unlocked, they need to be changed. They're pretty easy to change yourself and the last time I checked, they were about $40 each.

Your application will most likely be a bit different than mine was but to change the actuators, you need to pull the door panel off. Then drill out the rivet that holds the actuator bracket in place and remove the actuator and bracket. The new actuator comes with the rivet and a new bracket so all you need to do is install the new actuator with a rivet gun, reconnect the electrical connector, and put the door panel back on.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I wonder if it's typical for both sides to go out at the same time? That's what is bothering me about the actuators needing replacement. They bothe went out at the same time! I just looked online and the place wants $51.76 EACH! I might have to wait a couple more weeks :fraz:

#5 ·
I see what you're saying. You're driving the truck and you haven't had any starting issues that would hint at a dead battery or alternator right?

On my Ford, it seems like things went out at about the same time. My power window motors needed gear kits at the same time, the actuators on each side went out about 2 months apart, etc. so it's very possible that you just got lucky and get to replace both at the same time.

#7 ·
Yea I gotta do things the hard way but the way I see it if you pay for it, then the thing should work! Now that you mention the power windows are moving a little slower on the passenger side! Damnit! :fraz: It probably won't be long before I have to rplace those motors! :AAHHH:

#8 ·
actually if you take aal those things and clean them real good and relube them most will work for yrs just fine without spending the extra cash.
only downside to the whole thing is if it doesnt work then you gotta pull the door apart the second time to replace them.
the window motors will work alot better if they are removed and the dirty dry grease is removed and replaced with some nice slimey new soft stuff.
and personally i think it is worth the time for them because new motors tend to be a bit pricey.

#9 ·
The motors have nylon bushings in them that act as a sacrificial part to prevent the motors from burning out if it gets jammed. They work well, but unfortunately after a while they get brittle and crack. Once they crack, they self distruct and they have to be replaced. I bought a $20 gear kit that included the nylon gears and bushings in the gear reduction housing attached to the motor for each side and that's all you normally need. I'm still using the same motor it had and it goes up and down real quick.

I wouldn't change anything until they stop working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.