engine or clutch? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2006, 17:48   #1 (permalink)
rjr

engine or clutch?

I have a 95 f150 w/ striaght 6 in it. My clutch is going out of it and will need to be replaced soon. I have been kicking around the idea of putting the next size engine in it. What is the next size up and would it align up with the trany, piolt hole, motor mounts, ect? Also should I go with the 10 or 11 inch clutch? If these questions have been asked before sorry for the repete.
Thank-You,
Rjr
rjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2006, 15:16   #2 (permalink)
5.0 Burnouts

Re: engine or clutch?

If I'm not wrong, I believe it would be the 302 cid V-8.
Old 02-23-2006, 19:03   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjr
I have a 95 f150 w/ striaght 6 in it. My clutch is going out of it and will need to be replaced soon. I have been kicking around the idea of putting the next size engine in it. What is the next size up and would it align up with the trany, piolt hole, motor mounts, ect? Also should I go with the 10 or 11 inch clutch? If these questions have been asked before sorry for the repete.
Thank-You,
Rjr
is it a 240 or 290 cube ?
then you get 302 351 and 400 cu inches v8's
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 05:59   #4 (permalink)
rjr

Thank you for replying. How do I find out which one it is?
Rjr
Old 02-24-2006, 06:43   #5 (permalink)
'88 F-150

usually there's a sticker under the hood that tells you your serpentine belt route. and it should have your engine size on there. if not it should also be on the block
Torcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 13:13   #6 (permalink)
rjr

It has the 290 (4.9L) under the hood.

As I pulled out this afternoon my clutch went out, peddle went all the way to the floor. Only way to go is to turn off engine, put in gear and re-start engine. Cant get out of 1st unless I turn off and put in 3rd or 4th. So I guess it is time for a new one. I will think it over if I go to a 302 or not. As long as it will match up with every thing.

But now I need to get a clutch, clutch plate, throw out bearing. And as I never have done a f150 before what else do I need while I have it a part? Also what is a good web site to get my clutch staff from?
Thank You,
Rjr
Old 02-27-2006, 18:58   #7 (permalink)

I have always been a huge fan of the V-8, but I really like the current engine that you have! Those engines are full of torque, and should be able to handle about anything you can throw at them. I know a guy who has been through 2 clutches in the last year...all because he gets it stuck in ENORMOUS mud holes, then hot dogs it to get it out. It's all because of the tremendous torque applied (from that 6) to wheels that are bound up...the only place left to slip is the clutch! I do know that this particular guy has the 10" clutch. I feel quite certain that he has used the cheapest one he can find.

With all that said, only you know what suits your needs and possibilities.

Have fun!
redneckf150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel