Engine tapping 5.4 Triton - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel Forum for discussion of the Ford F100, F150, F250, F350, Superduty and Diesel trucks.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 13:10   #1 (permalink)

Engine tapping 5.4 Triton

I have a 2004 F-150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton engine. I've probably always have had a tapping noise but someone just pointed it out to me and now I'm concerned and wonder how I can get this fixed or should I be concerned at all. This truck runs great and has been well maintained. I have 87K miles on it. It's a clicking noise the definitely sounds like it's coming from the motor and as you step on the gas the ticking noise speeds up as well.
DanFordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 13:31   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Engine tapping 5.4 Triton

If it slightly decreases from cold, it could be an exhaust leak. See if you can tell if it come from a particular side.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:48   #3 (permalink)

Bro, im afraid you may be falling victim to the same fate as myself. I have a 2005 F150 w/5.4L v8 with just over 40,000 miles...thats right 40k! I recall for some time there was a slight ticking, nothing that i really thought much of but w/in the last 3 months that ticking has become a hard tapping. It can easily be heard upon initial startup (especially cold) but also during any acceleration....... basically anything over idle or coasting! So ive been doing some research and apparently a couple of known issues in the engine compartment of the 04/05 5.4v8. One of these which i just came across w/in the last couple of days is a bad cam phaser. The other which im about 99% sure is my problem is that of a collapsed lash adjuster. Ford has a TSB on this problem. I would definitely get it checked out. I bought mine on a used car lot with only 13,000 miles on it and since it is no longer under warranty and i dont have a lot of extra cash laying around, i shall soon be changing it myself or walking...or maybe both! I deeply regret having ever got rid of my Toyota. I would rather change out a bad starter any day! Best of luck to ya...
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08   #4 (permalink)
toyhauler

You should still be covered under the 60,000 mile drivetrain warranty. Check it out.
facory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 19:44   #5 (permalink)
canuck

For most trucks, warranty is only 36K or 3 years, whichever comes first, for both comprehensive and power train. Some newer warranties are longer, only for competitive purposes, but whether or not the dealer will do anything about it is another story. If the noise goes away after the engine is warm, then rtg is right, as it's most likely an exhaust leak. if the noise is rather prominent with engine RPM, even on the highway and when the vehicle downshifts, then I'd get a tune up done, just having new plugs can make an engine feel all that much better. Copper core plugs are only rated for 25-35K.
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 00:49   #6 (permalink)

I realize the thread is old, but I have an 05 5.4 3V 82,000 Miles and it has a couple issues that I have found no resolve to despite the various Ford Techs and Mechanics. It has a undesirable shake when the car is in drive, sitting at a stop, The Vehicle is in Drive, I am just stopped at a light or stop sign or just waiting. The vehicle seems to run very smooth, I guess the power is fine, it drives great. The truck idles at 500 RPM.....when I raise the idle to approx 550-650 RPM a loud knocking sound is heard. Ford said it was a clogged oil passage, and another mechanic said it could be timing...I do not know but an very concerned.

Here are some links to what the car sounds like at idle and at 650 RPM with the knock:

Thanks in advance if anyone knows or has had these issues and able to resolve them.
enphluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:53   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

There's a TSB on this.
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...SBs/06-4-7.pdf
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Trucks | Utes | Vans |SUVs | Crossovers > Ford F-100 | Ford F-150 | Ford F-250 | Ford F-350 | Ford Super Duty | Ford Diesel